Chapter Twenty Four: Human Nature

Start from the beginning

"I never said that!"

Okay maybe I did want to see his body.

"You like him. He clearly likes you. Just do something about it."

"It's never as simple as that. And even if he did like me, there's so many things I don't know about him"

Gigi places her hand on top of mine. "You'll figure it out. Anyways, how's prep going for the school show."

"Considering I still don't know what I'm going to play, terrible."

I debate whether telling her about Landon and I doing it together, but decide against it.

She gives me a reassuring smile. "Once again, I'm sure you'll figure it out Dee."

***

D flat, E flat, B minor... What's the next key? I play a D minor, which wasn't the right key at all. "UGH!" I stop the recording I messed up and rest my head on the piano.

"Writer's block?" A voice I know too well calls out from the other side of the auditorium.

"Major writers block." I shout back, not bothering to look up.

"Can I help?" I turn to look at him. There stands the bad boy, leather jacket tossed to the side and acoustic guitar in hand.

I smile. "What do you propose."

He gives me his signature smirk. "You need to move way away from your piano and tell me how well can you sing."

I get up and wheel my piano to the side of the stage. "I'm decent. Why do you ask?" I say, walking down the stage to make my way over to him.

"That's all I needed to know, Gem." He smiles and walks up onto the stage, connecting his guitar to the amplifier on stage.

I give him a confused look. However my questions are answered when he starts strumming and I instantly recognise the intro to one of my favourite songs. He's playing Human Nature.

He looks up and nods his head at me, I know he wants me to sing. Right now I'd be freaking out if someone asked me to sing, but with Landon I felt like I could do anything.

So I start.
"Looking out across the nighttime,
The city winks a sleepless eye,
Hear his voice, shake my window,
Sweet seducing sighs."

Landon takes over the next verse, and I didn't think his voice would be this good. Holy shit.
"Get me out into the nighttime,
Four walls won't hold me tonight,
If this town is just an apple,
Then let me take a bite."

He nods at me, my cue to join him in the chorus.
"If they say, Why, why,
Tell 'em that it's human nature.
Why, why, does he do me that way,
If they say, Why, why,
Tell 'em that it's human nature.
Why, why does he do me that way."

Landon takes over the next verse.

"Reaching out to touch a stranger."
He smiles and leans down to grab my hand, pulling me up onto stage with him.
"Electric eyes are everywhere.
See that girl, she knows I'm watching,
She likes the way I stare."

I join in with him again.
"If they say, Why, why,
Tell 'em that it's human nature.
Why, why, does he do me that way,
If they say, Why, why,
Tell 'em that it's human nature.
Why, why does he do me that way."

I smile at him.
"I like livin' this way."

He smiles back.
"I like lovin' this way"

I take over the high notes.
"Oh why, Oh why.
Oh why, Oh why."

He stares at me for a second before joining in again, strumming the last few chords.
"Why, why, tell 'em that it's human nature.
Why..."

He leans down and touches his nose with mine, resting our foreheads together. 

The loud sound of clapping makes us suddenly jolt away from eachother. I look over to the direction of the sound and see Mr Jacobs, my music teacher, with a huge smile on his face.

"Guess we just found our winners of the music show."

_____________________________________

EXTRA LONG CHAPTER! Aaaah as some of you may have guessed that last scene was honestly inspired by one of my favourite scenes on Glee when they sang my favourite song ever. If you haven't watched it I've put the seen above!

Vote, comment and share!
Love you lots xx
~H <3