the Reckless and the Brave (Sequel to Scream, to be Heard)

"Eat," my mother said. I hated resorting to tempter tantrums, but my life had completely derailed since last summer. My life was a complete drag.

"I don't want to, I'm not hungry," I said, pushing the plate away.

"Alright. You'll have to eat sometime, and I'm betting that'll be lunch," she said, taking the plate of eggs and bacon away from me. I went into my room, ignoring my dad's greeting, and changed into a "Rebolution" Glamour kills shirt, blue and white button-up, jean shorts, and extra high converse before putting my phone in my pocket, brushing my hair, and getting in the car. I didn't speak a word until third period, when I was so unluckily called on.

"Gaskarth, pay attention, please. I asked you how many beats are in a measure in four four time," my theory teacher said.

"Four," I replied through gritted teeth. Just then the door opened. The office assistant walked in the room.

"I believe she's right in here," she said, pointing to me. Everyone stared at me and I felt my face turn red. Then I heard a scream outside.

"NO! I WANNA SEE HER FIRST!"

"SHE'S MY SISTER! DEAL WITH IT!" Then Alex walked in the room casually and up to my desk. Or so I am told, because I  was too busy hiding my face in embarrassment the entire time. "Heather. Raeleigh. Gaskarth, open your eyes and say hi to your big brother," he said. I opened my eyes, raised my head up, and immediately started crying. I stood up and hugged him tightly. I hadn't seen Alex all year because of touring. The only time they were in Baltimore was for a concert, and my parents thought it was unacceptable to buy a ticket to your own brother's concert.

Then Jack, Zack, and Rian walked in the room and joined us.

"Gaskarth, do you want to introduce me to these people?" My teacher asked, being half-nice for the first time. I nodded.

"This is my brother Alex and his bandmates Jack, Zack, and Rian. They weren't supposed to be here for another three weeks," I replied. "And of course he decided not to tell me." I hugged the other guys, all except for Jack. He was looking at everyone with a really confused look on his face.

"Who are all these people? I didn't know you had so many friends, Heaths. This is so cool, it's like looking at a bunch of little fishies," he babbled. "Just keep swimming, don't stop swimming, just keep swimming, swimming swimming... Are you learning music? Music is fun to learn." My friend Robert, whom Jack was hovering over, looked like he was about to pee his pants. Poor guy.

"I'm sorry, sir. Jack is a little off his rocker. We'll, er, go out in the hallway," I said, leading everyone in the hallway. "What the hell are you guys doing here? You're not supposed to be back for three weeks! And why did you let Jack babble in the classroom and scare my classmates half to death?"

"Honestly, we had nothing to do with Jack. And our last few concerts got canceled for some reason, so we headed back home. And we bumped up the custody trial so that it's today. Right after we take you to lunch and you get out of your school clothes," Alex replied. I laughed, though I felt a twinge of nervousness for the custody. Since it had been a while since we got our first ruling, and we have new 'evidence' that Alex is a nice person, we decided to take it back to court and see if they'll just give up and let me live with Alex and Rian again, like I used to.

"Take me by the house first? I wanna drop my bag off," I said, taking my bag out of my locker and shutting it back. They nodded. Alex signed me out and we dropped by the house, where I changed into another Glamour Kills shirt, jean shorts that went to my mid-thigh, blue and black cheetah-print vans, and white stud belt. Then I went back outside. We then got into the car and went to Logan's, where we ate and hang out until the custody trial. Then we proceeded to the courthouse, much to my dismay. Both of my parents were already there, and so was everyone else. That didn't relieve any of the awkwardness of it, believe me.