Unraveling

PS. I changed the title

Dried tears and snot caked along your face and you blinked away your blurry vision.

After the police took your sister away, you didn't move an inch, but sat and wept. For how long you did not know.

Your only reassurance that you were still alive and haven't died of shock was Karma's tender hands, who held yours the entire time.

When you opened your mouth to speak, your voice croaked and your throat hurt from the dryness. It felt as if you've died a hundred years ago and your body decayed, then all of a sudden you were alive again.

Karma's hands squeezed your slightly when he finally sensed some life within you. He was beginning to worry from your lack of movement.

You wanted to speak but didn't know what to say. Just as you began to sit up, you remembered the envelope grasped tightly within your hand. You released your tight grip, realizing how crumpled the paper was due to your anxiousness earlier.

And with shaky hands, you ripped it opened.

Slowly and wearily, you unfolded the single piece of paper found within the envelope. The paper felt rough under your smooth fingertips. It was a letter which you recognized the handwriting to be your father's.

A sense of bitterness washed over you at everything that has happened but you forced those feelings down your throat as this was a critical time of your life. Whatever was written here you must know.

Giving Karma a slight glance, you proceeded to read the letter.

To my dear daughter (y/n),

Are you well? If you are seeing this letter, it must mean my body has been found.
I assume they took Arias away by now.
I know you must have many questions. Though I fear my mind could no longer remember.
I am writing to you on account of the unspoken words these past 10 years.
I know you must resent me. I won't ask for your forgiveness.
10 years ago today, your mother died.
Murdered by the very people whose hands were stained by far more blood I could ever imagine.
And the true family to whom your dear sister belongs.
Only then have I wondered, was it all in vain? Whom did I deserve?
For a long time, I was blinded. Only today have I finally been able see again.
This was the punishment to my failure.
I have broken the one and only promise I made with the women whom I loved.
Your mother sacrificed more than her life for you. For our dearest and only daughter. For what she lost you still have. Has that thought crossed your mind?
You are dear to me, so I have but one request.
From today onwards, live your life.
If you have the resolve, seal this letter, and never look back.

Finally for once, I am able to see her again. I am truly happy.