Chapter Sixty-One: Battle Of Ealdor

The day had come for the Battle of Ealdor. It would be today that Ealdor would either rise or fall. Arthur had decided to take a moment for himself; he knew this battle was going to be a hard one. Arthur stood just within the woods staring at the calm village, that continued with their life despite the horror they were going to shortly face.

As he stared at the village he vaguely heard someone making their way to his side. Believing it to be Merlyn Arthur turned with a smile already on his face but surprisingly Arthur found himself staring at Galahad. The man walked right up to Arthur's side but did not look at the prince once; he just stood with his hands behind his back looking out at the village.

For some time the pair just stood in silence, two knights from two different generations. Arthur didn't quite know what to think about Galahad. The knight had not been around much - always in the background, saying very little on the whole. But when Arthur had seen the man with Merlyn he saw how much the man cared for Merlyn; had he not known they weren't Arthur would have sworn they were father and daughter.

"Arthur Pendragon, the father of a legend" Galahad finally spoke. Arthur was surprised by his words, he had only ever heard of a legend involving himself off of the Great Dragon but Arthur had not thought that other people knew about such a thing.

"Excuse me?"

"I am Galahad, I once served your father" the knight continued not even acknowledging Arthur's question.

"Once?" Arthur asked.

"I am a Seer, I see the future, prophecy is a power too close to magic, your father does not permit it so here I now live" Galahad replied turning to face the prince, watching his reaction to revealing his own magic. Arthur's eyes widened at his words but that was his only reaction. Galahad was Merlyn's friend; she trusted him so Arthur would trust Galahad as well. The old knight did not seem to have any harmful intentions so Arthur saw no reason to react badly.

"Your Merlyn's friend" Arthur replied instead.

"Yes, I have known her ever since she was a little girl, protected her mother when her father couldn't" Galahad said with a fondness in his voice. In that moment Arthur could tell that Galahad truly cared for Merlyn. Quickly the pair fell into silence. Arthur wasn't sure what to say to Galahad he had numerous questions to ask about Merlyn but they all jumbled in his head giving Galahad the opportunity to once again shock Arthur into silence.

"You know of her magic don't you?" The question was straight forward and came out of nowhere. Arthur didn't know how to react. It did not surprise Arthur that Galahad knew of Merlyn's magic, however, he was surprised by Galahad's gall to ask him right out about it. Arthur stood beside Galahad gapping like a fish as he tried to understand what was happening. "But she doesn't know you know."

"I want her to tell me herself" Arthur answered truthfully, finally getting some words out.

"Of course. Why don't you hate magic? Growing up with Uther Pendragon you surely were taught to hate magic" Galahad said intrigued. Arthur clearly didn't hold the same view point as his father, it was so strange, and everyone expected him to be just as cruel as his father but he surprised the all. It was still so strange for Galahad to know that Arthur the father of a legend as stood before him, it was still phenomenal that he had protected, taught the great Emrys. Now the Once and Future King was before him, the man who would change everything. Galahad felt incredibly lucky.

"I did hate magic" Arthur started but then a smile graced his face, "but Merlyn showed me a long time ago that magic was something of beauty and that my father's vision was warped - she saved my life using magic, she wasn't a bad person, she proved magic was just as much a force for good as it is for evil." And he had never forgotten it.