Chapter Twelve: Last Night

Trigger warning: sexual assault

***

Merlyn had swiftly carted the statue back to her chambers. With a bit of struggle, Merlyn had managed to get it up the stairs into her room. As Merlyn had promised Gaius when she had received the spell book off him, she had studied every word. She remembered there being a spell in the book about animating objects, making them come to life. If she was able to use the spell on the snakes then people would see them as she had.

Once she was inside her room, Merlyn dived for the loose floorboard where she had hidden her book. Quickly, she searched through the worn book and found the spell she wanted. Sitting down on the bed, Merlyn's fingers traced the words.

"Bebay odothay ... bebay odothay arisan quickum" Merlyn repeated until she knew the words. Lowering the book, her eyes locked onto the statue.

"Bebay odothay arisan quickum." Merlyn's eyes glowed golden ... and nothing happened. The statue didn't move. Merlyn tried over and over again but the statue showed no signs of life.

...Bebay odothay arisan quickum...

Merlyn threw herself down on her bed and groaned loudly. No matter what she tried it wasn't working. She tired shouting it, whispering it; whispering it inside the dog's ear; saying it quickly, saying it slowly; doing exaggerated hands gestures but nothing was working. Glaring down at the dog, Merlyn kicked the statue lightly. "Stupid dog."

~8~

Merlyn couldn't get the spell to work, it was frustrating and useless. Without the spell Merlyn couldn't expose Valiant, if she couldn't expose him then she had to convince Arthur to not fight, she just had to. As Merlyn made her way to Arthur's chambers her mind was preoccupied and she failed to notice the footsteps that followed her.

She just didn't know what she was going to do if Arthur didn't heed her words. Suddenly a hand clamped around her throat. As she grasped the hand she was slammed into the nearby wall. The wind was knocked out of her at the impact. It took her eyes a moment to clear. Looking into the face of her attacker, Merlyn's heart dropped. It was Valiant.

"You thought you could get rid of me that easily" he mocked, his face inches from hers. She clawed at his hand that was clamped to her throat. Though his hand was locked around her throat it wasn't cutting off her airway, however, that wasn't her only issue. She could feel a very sharp object being pushed into her left side. It didn't draw blood but it was made clear to Merlyn that it was there.

"Get off" Merlyn said even though she was very much trapped. It was the middle of the night and no one was walking around. It was only her and Valiant. Sir Leon would not be there to protect this time.

"Why? Am I not your prince, is that it? Do you only open your legs for him?" Valiant asked his breath fanning over her face before he ran his tongue over the side of her neck. His entire body was pressed to hers. Fear spiked in Merlyn's body as she felt an unmistakable bulge against her.

"I'm not a whore" Merlyn stated trying to push Valiant back. She knew she couldn't use her magic otherwise Uther would be told immediately and she would be dead, she couldn't fight the knight physically otherwise Uther would be told immediately and she would be dead; there wasn't a whole lot Merlyn could do ... and Valiant knew it.