Chapter Thirty-Nine: Morgana's Nightmare

Merlyn soon enough found herself showing Sophia to her room. The chambers around the Royal rooms were meant only for the most significant of guests. And Sophia was a significant guest to Arthur apparently. The room was large and lavish, perfect for a lady. Thankfully, Merlyn was not placed as Sophia's servant but being Arthur's servant at the moment was not a joy.

Merlyn would love to say that she was fine with Sophia, that she felt no negative emotions towards the woman but she couldn't. Outwardly Merlyn was fine, nothing was wrong; inwardly, just the view of Sophia reminded her of what she couldn't have. God, she had fallen hard for the prince, she hadn't even noticed until the prince's head was turned. Even though she had started to repeat an almost mantra to herself, 'Arthur Pendragon is an arrogant, prattish prince who cares only for himself', she couldn't get passed her hurt feelings.

"If you need anything, just let me know" Merlyn said to Sophia as she handed the Lady some extra blankets. Merlyn was finally able to leave the lady and couldn't leave fast enough.

"Thank you" Sophia replied with a smile making her face seem angelic. For a moment, Merlyn felt a strong urge to punch her perfect face but stopped herself, violence was not the solution. Giving a tight smile, Merlyn curtseyed, like she was supposed to as a servant. As Sophia went to go into her room, Merlyn's smile dropped and she began to make her way through the corridor. Why was this so hard? Arthur was just a man, this was stupid! Distracted by her thoughts, Merlyn did not see the woman coming down the corridor or the fact that she stopped short, her eyes locked on the golden haired girl Merlyn had just left.

Suddenly, Merlyn felt her wrist being grasped by a soft, delicate hand. Following the arm up to the face, Merlyn gasped as she found it to be Lady Morgana.

"Who is that?" Morgana asked a tremor clear in her voice. Merlyn frowned immediately; why did Morgana seemed scared ... of Sophia?

"Err ... Sophia Tír-Mòr. Arthur and I rescued her in the woods" Merlyn answered, her blue eyes locked onto Morgana's face, studying her intently.

"She can't stay here" Morgana snapped, her eyes filling with fear.

"Whilst I wish that was true" Merlyn mumbled under her breath before answering clearly, "the King said that she and her father are welcome in Camelot. Is everything ok?" Morgana however did not answer; she just kept her gaze locked on where Sophia had been. What was going on? "Morgana you can tell me." Finally, Morgana dragged her gaze to the concerned servant who was holding her hand in comfort. Morgana knew she had to tell someone, if that woman was in Camelot someone had to know. Grasping Merlyn's hand Morgana began dragging the servant back to her chambers.

"Come with me."

~8~

Merlyn sat gobsmacked in Morgana's chambers. Morgana claimed that she had dreams that often came true and that she had had a dream of Arthur drowning whilst a woman stood over him watching him die, as if it was a ritual - the woman had been Sophia Tír-Mòr. But the thing was that Morgana had had this dream before Sophia had arrived in Camelot.

"You're sure it's her?" Merlyn questioned.

"I could never forget that face. I know what I saw. It was so real ... so vivid" Morgana replied, a haunted expression on her face. "I saw him die. She's going to kill him." Merlyn gulped. Morgana was so sure ... but if she was right then they had serious issues. First of all Arthur was in danger. Merlyn would have to keep a closer eye on the prince and on Sophia, why would she want to kill Arthur? Why was she performing a ritual? Second of all Morgana can see the future? What would that mean? Was it even possible? Was she some sort of prophet? A seer?