Chapter Seventy-Five: A Questing Beast

Red cloaks stood out from among the green foliage as the group of Camelot knights, Arthur and Merlyn made their way through the woods. Camelot had received some unsettling news about a rather large creature that was killing citizens left, right and centre. People had heard the creature, had caught a glimpse of it as it ran past however no one had seen the creature in all its horrifying glory. No one truly knew what it looked like except for it was big and hissed. As usual Arthur and a band of knights had been sent out to the last known location of the creature to try and track the thing down. Each knight, including Sir Leon, was carrying an array of weapons whilst Merlyn was carrying Arthur's spears and crossbows. Slowly, the group came to a stop as they scanned the area for any creatures; vaguely they could hear some shuffling from elsewhere in the trees.

"Merlyn, spear" Arthur ordered in a hushed tone. Merlyn came forward and moved the spear over to the prince, however, she was not really paying attention. The spear's handle hit Arthur in the face before it hit the floor. Merlyn stifled a laugh as did Leon who was behind her. Arthur just glared up at his servant thoroughly unimpressed.

"Do you have any natural gifts Merlyn?" Arthur questioned as he picked the spear up from the floor.

"No. Well, let me think" Merlyn commented, placing a thoughtful look on her face as she crouched down beside the prince. "I'm not naturally rude or insensitive." Arthur sighed at her words, knowing she was making a jab at him.

"Just naturally irritating" Arthur replied causing Merlyn to jokingly look at Arthur with hurt and annoyance. Slowly the group began to move forward through the woods once more. As they made ground, Merlyn began to feel awkward, uncomfortable ... as if something was coming.

Suddenly a growl echoed through the forest, a growl that made Merlyn's stomach turn. Her magic was screaming at her that something was wrong, that there was some sort of magic around. Fear crept across her as images of what magical creature had created that noise swept through her mind. Her fear must have shown on her face as the moment Arthur looked back he locked eyes on Merlyn.

"It's probably more scared of you than you are of it" Arthur reassured his servant with a caring gaze. The young witch was grateful for the words regardless of their ineffectiveness. Merlyn nodded but could not muster any sense of calm. Something just felt ... off.

Arthur quickly signalled to his knights to flank the unknown creature so that it was blocked in. The knights moved to do the prince's bidding but before they could get far a huge beast jumped into view, towering far above them. Merlyn's eyes widened whilst a gasp emitted from her mouth. The bag and crossbow she had been carrying fell to the floor swiftly as Arthur span around to face the beast as well.

It was a great creature with the head of a snake and the body of a leopard that was hundreds of times larger than any leopard. Rearing back its ugly, terrifying head the creature hissed viciously causing Arthur to drop his spear. Without needing an order, the party turned and bolted but the creature only followed. The knights, Arthur and Merlyn charged through the forest hoping to put some distance between them and the creature.

Merlyn ran as fast as she could but unfortunately the servant tripped and crashed to the floor, her hands grasping for purchase amongst the dirt and leaves. Rolling over onto her back, Merlyn saw that the beast was indeed following them and was mere feet from her. The beast's vicious fangs glistened in the sun whilst its powerful furry legs pulled it closer to her; the beast raised its head for a strike. She was so going to die.

"Merlyn!" The shout reached her ears seconds before two pairs of hands grasped at her arm and pulled her to her feet. Merlyn was not surprised to find Arthur as one of the people that had came to help her with Sir Bedivere. Slipping his hand into hers, Arthur held on tight as they began running again their footsteps pounding on the floor as fast as their heartbeats.