Chapter Eight: The Tournament Begins

Arthur could hear the crowd a mile away. They were more than ready for the fighting to begin – it was a simple tournament of swords and shields, the weapons Arthur preferred to use. Once he had reached the stadium with the other competitors they all lined up in the fighting arena in two lines. Knights with all colours and crests adorning their capes stood waiting for the king. The arena was surrounded by three large stands full of benches where the audience could sit and watch the tournament. Every space was filled, tournaments always brought in a crowd. The middle stand had a space 'cut out' for three thrones, one for the king, one for Arthur and one for Morgana. Morgana's was the only one currently filled. Gwen stood beside her. The arena was coloured with the Pendragon red and gold, it was a sight to behold.

Arthur subtly checked out his competition from his space in the back line. Some faces he recognised, others he had never seen before. One knight in particular caught his attention. A brunet man who wore a yellow cape.

"Knights of the realm" Uther announced as he swept his way in front of the knights, the same red cape as Arthur's draped across his shoulders, his crown glistening on his forehead. "It's a great honour to welcome you to a tournament at Camelot. Over the next three days, you will come to put your bravery to the test, your skills as warriors, and of course, to challenge the reigning champion, my son, Prince Arthur." Arthur took a deep breath at that, talk about putting a target on his back. Feeling a pair of eyes on him, Arthur turned his head and found the same yellow knight as before staring directly at him, challenging him from afar. Arthur did not like the knight. "Only one can have the honour of being crowned champion, and he will receive a prize of 1,000 gold pieces." Everyone watched as a servant to the right of the king opened a wooden box, delicately engraved with swirls. Inside sat the 1000 gold pieces. Arthur was used to seeing so much gold at once but it was clear the crowd were not as they 'oo'ed and 'ahh'ed at the sight.

"It is in combat that we learn a knight's true nature" Uther continued, "whether he is indeed a warrior or a coward. Let the tournament begins!" The crowd cheered as the drums and horns were blown. The knights bowed to their king before they all left the stadium except for Arthur and his opponent. Uther made his way to his son and clapped a hand on his shoulder.

"I trust you will make me proud" Uther said before he left to go to his seat. Arthur sighed quietly. Why did his father always put so much pressure on him? Two knights came to the competitors both with their shields in their hands. Arthur took his cape from his shoulders and handed it to the knight before he took his dragon engraved shield and donned his helmet. This was a fight he was definitely going to win.

~8~

Merlyn stood near the entrance of the stadium watching from the sidelines. This was exciting. Arthur and his opponent positioned themselves into their fighting stances, much like Arthur and Merlyn had done early that morning. With a swing of steel, their swords clashed over and over again. Each knight blocked their opponent's attacks with their swords or shields, each one giving as much they were taking. Merlyn cheered from the sidelines with the crowd as Arthur forced the knight back using his shield. Swinging frantically at Arthur, the other knight forced Arthur to duck under his sword. The pair once again settled into their original fighting stances. The crowd held their breath. Stepping forward, Arthur made his attack. The knight just managed to defend the swift attacks but eventually Arthur's superiority with the sword won and allowed Arthur to give his opponent a swift elbow to the head, the hit knocking the knight to the floor. The crowd burst into cheers as their prince removed his helmet in victory. Merlyn shouted with the crowd, applauding the prince with a bright smile on her face.

The rest of the day they watched various fights. Merlyn was highly interested in the knight that had two curved blades instead of a straight sword and shield. His fighting style was foreign and skilful. He used acrobatic kicks and accurate slices of his swords to win. And he favoured only a helmet and chainmail – no actual armour plates. However, this amazing swordsman was beaten by the knight, Sir Valiant.