Chapter Twenty-Five: A Horse, A Griffin, A Handsome Man

I want to thank everyone who is still reading this (over 3000 reads woo!) and special thanks to all who have voted, I hope you are enjoying this book.

Anyhow, here is the start of Lancelot!

************************

Finally Merlyn was back to her usual routine. For a while she had had to take things easy, something Merlyn didn't find easy at all. She never realised how much she liked doing her jobs for Arthur, in her way, her order. It drove her slightly insane at first when people started doing the jobs (wrong in her opinion). But just as she got used to the extra set of hands, she was allowed to go back to work full time and boy did she feel it. Arthur and Gaius had been working her to the bone. Speaking of Arthur, the pair had not talked about what had nearly occurred in Gaius' chambers, even though the memory plagued both their minds. Neither one spoke of their feelings for one another or even showed the other they had feelings over the last week or so. It was driving Merlyn slowly insane. Wanting something she couldn't have ... why her?

She was currently slaving away in the stables, mucking out Arthur's horses when the man who plagued her thoughts turned up. He leant against the wooden stall and watched as Merlyn lay down new hay for the horses. He didn't say anything, just stood and watch her.

"Ok, what is so interesting that you won't stop staring?" Merlyn suddenly asked, finishing her job and placing her hands on her hips. Arthur could only smile at his maidservant as she raised her eyebrows in question to him.

"I have a gift" Arthur finally said. Merlyn frowned. What on earth was the prince talking about?

"You have a what now?"

"Well, as prince I have many horses" Arthur started as he slowly began to make his way through his end of the royal stables, obviously wanting Merlyn to follow. She sighed and rolled her eyes as she dutifully followed him. "But this horse is the only horse I've raised myself, trained myself. He's named Major." Arthur stopped outside one particularly stall that had a beautiful black horse inside; it was clearly a horse good enough for royalty. "I now leave him in the good hands of my stable hand Jackson, though I often I'm still the one to take him out for training." Merlyn watched Arthur with a smile on her face. She could see the love that Arthur had for this horse as clear as day. He stood beside the great beauty, gently stroking his neck, the horse clearly recognising its owner and enjoying the attention. "He means a lot to me."

"Clearly" Merlyn replied as she took a step forward and placed her hand gently on the horse's nose, "You did a good job with him."

"Glad you think so because he's yours" Arthur announced lightly.

"What?!" Merlyn shouted, Major huffed in shock. Arthur shushed the horse before looking at Merlyn, laughing at her shocked face

"You have done a lot for myself, for my people ... it's the least I could do" Arthur explained as he reached out and gently grabbed Merlyn's small hand and placed it on Major's neck, encouraging the young maiden to stroke the horse in comfort.

"Arthur. I can't take him. You grew up with him –" Merlyn protested even though her eyes were locked onto the horse. Arthur noticed the bright glint in her eyes as she studied the horse in all its glory. Arthur could tell Merlyn already loved Major.

"Merlyn, I won't allow anyone else to have him. He stays in these stables, of course, Jackson will continue to care for him but this is the horse you will use when you ride anywhere. He is very loyal, loyal to a fault. Doesn't spook easily. Very gentle despite his size. He'll serve you well." Slowly, Merlyn turned to face Arthur.