Chapter Twenty-Seven: Fifth Son Of Lord Eldred Of Northumbria

Merlyn had finally figured how she could get Lancelot to be a knight. All he needed was a seal of nobility ... and there was plenty in the Noble Houses Records. Once the idea was in her head, Merlyn couldn't get it out. She had swiftly made her way down to records and found a random house that she had never heard of. Swiftly enough, Merlyn had used a bit of magic to duplicate the seal she had found except with Lancelot's name on it. This was going to work. Once Merlyn had it she raced back to her chambers. Lancelot was once again waiting for her – Merlyn started to question what Lancelot did all day.

"Well, look what I got" Merlyn stated as she particularly skipped into the room.

"What's that?" Lancelot questioned, seeing the scroll that was within her grasp.

"This is your seal of nobility" she said proudly stopping in front of the confused knight-to be.

"I don't understand."

"Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Lancelot, fifth son of Lord Eldred of Northumbria" Merlyn announced opening the scroll up so that Lancelot could see the crest of Northumbria with his name below it. Lancelot's eyes widened at the sight of the paper.

"No, Merlyn. No" Lancelot said as he reached for the paper.

"Oh, right. So you don't want to be a knight, then" Merlyn commented as Lancelot studied the paper, a frown set on his face.

"Of course I do!" he answered, he was clearly conflicted. Merlyn sighed as she grabbed his arm.

"The rules don't allow you to be a knight. Well then damn the rules! The rules are wrong!" Merlyn said. Lancelot looked at Merlyn so confused. Her words were so compelling. However, these actions were wrong.

"But it's a lie. It's against everything the knights stand for" Lancelot argued quietly.

"You have as much right to be a knight as any man. I know it" Merlyn said, she just wanted him to be a knight so much.

"But the rules, Merlyn..."

"We're not breaking the rules. We're bending them, that's all. This will get your foot in the door. But after that you will be judged on your merit alone" Merlyn argued, willing him to take the risk, "If you succeed - if they make you a knight - it'll be because you earned it, noble or not. I can't change the way things are done around here, but you can ... if you let me help you." Everything Lancelot had ever wanted was in his hands, in front of him. But he didn't know if it was right.

~8~

Deciding to take the chance, Lancelot had agreed to Merlyn's plan. With him onboard Merlyn had immediately taken him to Gwen so that she could take his measurements for armour and knight's clothing. Merlyn watched from her place perched on Gwen's table as Lancelot watched Gwen take his measurements. Merlyn noticed it the moment the two had met, it was clear that Lancelot and Gwen had taken a liking towards each other. Merlyn watched silently as the two exchanged glances and meaningful blushes - the simple things that could be done around other people without suspicion. Something Merlyn herself did not know.

"Thi-This is very kind of you, err..." Lancelot trailed off not knowing Gwen's name. Merlyn cringed as she realised her mistake – she probably should have told the young man Gwen's name.

"Gwen. Short for Guinevere" Gwen answered with a smile.

"Ah. Then thank you, Guinevere" Lancelot finished his eyes solely on Gwen. Merlyn felt a pang of jealous run through her, two people free to have a chance at love whilst she...

"Don't thank me. Thank Merlyn. Merlyn would do anything for anyone, wouldn't you, Merlyn?" Gwen rambled, at the mention of her name Lancelot looked over to the witch who smirked at the man. She knew he liked Gwen, "Sorry, can you raise your arms? Thank you. Sorry. I think it's great that Merlyn's got you this chance. We need men like you."