Chapter Sixty-Six: The Second Test

Cool fresh water had never tasted so good before. Arthur and Merlyn had not found Anhora like Arthur had wanted but by morning something better had been found. Water! The reservoirs had filled back up with water, not a grain of sand left in sight. It was unbelievable but no one was questioning it. Everyone was just glad for the refreshing liquid.

Arthur and Merlyn were both in Arthur's chambers gulping down mug after mug of water that Merlyn had collected gallons of that morning. Arthur couldn't figure out what had happened; how or why the water had returned but it seemed Merlyn had an idea and Arthur knew that.

"I suppose you have some explanation as to why the water has returned to the well, Merlyn? Let's hear it" Arthur demanded from his seat at the head of his table.

"Anhora said you would be tested. And last night, in the grain store, you let that villager go. And he said it would bring its own reward" Merlyn explained simply, her idea making sense and needing no more exploration.

"He was merely grateful, and so he should have been" Arthur commented, finishing off another mug of water. Merlyn rolled her eyes and just managed to hold her tongue against Arthur's stupidity. Gripping the jug of water she had in her hands, Merlyn made her way over to Arthur and refilled his mug.

"Maybe that was your first test. You passed it, so the curse has begun to lift. Perhaps this is your reward" Merlyn tried again, set on her idea. "When you're tested again, you have a chance to end your people's suffering. I know you want that more than anything" Merlyn emphasised knowing his weakness. Arthur looked up at Merlyn with a struggle deep in his eyes. He didn't want to trust her because it meant that he really had caused the suffering of his people.

"No, you're wrong" Arthur said as he put his mug back down on the table and rose to his feet. He just couldn't believe it.

"Arthur I'm not wrong!" Merlyn argued back as Arthur stood up and began to move towards his door, affectively storming out.

"I don't want to hear it!" Arthur shouted back. "I must go check on the guard. See if you can find me some food." And with that he stormed out, leaving Merlyn to slam down the jug she was holding causing water to spill all over the table.

"Camelot is cursed because of you!"

The words made Arthur momentarily stop in his tracks. Arthur was finally sick of everything. He was frustrated by everything, by the curse, by Merlyn's behaviour. All of it. He wanted concrete answers so he had to go to the one person he knew would have answers.

~8~

The dark cavern was, as always, cold and silent. Arthur was stood upon the ledge with his burning torch held up to try and illuminate as much of the area as he could. The cavern was silent and seemingly empty which led Arthur to shouting.

"Kilgharrah?!" Quickly the Great Dragon appeared with his usual drama. Arthur sighed as the dragon got himself comfortable on the rock. However, once Arthur got a good look at the dragon he realised that the dragon was glaring at him, he was mad at him.

"Arthur Pendragon what do you want?" Kilgharrah asked.

"Look Camelot has gained a famine overnight and we did have a drought -" Arthur started, diving straight into the heavy stuff, he didn't have time to go around the houses.

"Because you killed a unicorn" Kilgharrah interrupted. Arthur was not surprised that the dragon knew but it seemed that the dragon had something more to say.

"So the legend is true" Arthur whispered in horror. He really was the reason for the curse, all the horror, the famine, the drought was because of his selfish actions.