Chapter Thirty-Two: For Camelot

Merlyn had swiftly rushed through the woods and had found Lancelot searching for the band of Camelot knights. Soon enough the pair heard the battle cries of men, the sound of clashing sounds and the screech of a beast they knew would not be harmed by the weapons. But then the sounds stopped. Merlyn's heart jumped into her mouth. Without a word she pushed Major towards the noises of the fallen men. Though she slowed the horse down, she didn't fully stop before she jumped off the back of Major and ran to the knights.

They were everywhere. Bodies littered the ground. The griffin would certainly eat well tonight if it wasn't stopped. Merlyn and Lancelot swiftly began checking for survivors; so many of them were dead. Spotting Leon Merlyn swiftly made her way to his side. The knight just laid before her very still, his eyes closed and blood running down his cheek.

"Leon?" Merlyn whispered. Quickly she checked his pulse, glad to feel it beating against her hand. Thank god for that, she still had one of her friends. One male found, the question was where was her prince? Standing back up, Merlyn's eyes jumped to each man sprawled on the floor but she couldn't find his sandy blonde hair anywhere. Panic began to rise in Merlyn. What happened if he was injured and lost? Or dead? Or already being eaten by the griffin?

"He's over here, Merlyn!" Lancelot called over. Merlyn made no noise as she bolted to her Prince's side, knocking Lancelot over in the progress. Her hands were immediately cupping Arthur's face as she felt for his pulse. Tears began to gather in her eyes as she placed her fingertips on the prince's neck, praying she would feel a beat. Thankfully, a beat pulsed against her fingers. Merlyn sighed in relief before she leaned over and kissed Arthur's forehead.

Suddenly, a familiar hissing reached their ears. Merlyn and Lancelot both turned to see that the griffin had spotted them. Merlyn's eyes narrowed onto the badly damaged, irreparable eye she had caused. For a moment a rush of guilt hit her. No creature deserved that pain.

Meanwhile, Lancelot ran back to his horse, grabbed his weapon, lowered his visor and positioned his lance at the creature. Both Merlyn and Lancelot knew the lance would break but only Merlyn knew that if she could do it then the lance would kill the beast. Completely, forgetting about the fact that Arthur was beneath her hand that rested on his chest, that he was close enough to hear even her whisper, Merlyn began to chant.

"Bregdan anweald gafeluec" she whispered her eyes locked on the lance. But as before nothing happened, the lance didn't change. Lancelot nudged his horse into a charge just as the griffin screeched and began to charge towards the brave knight himself.

"Bregdan anweald gafeluec."

Merlyn watched as Lancelot raced straight passed her, her magic doing nothing. A pair of blue eyes slowly opened.

"Bregdan anweald gafeluec!"

The griffin continued to charge its feet gaining ground quickly, its cry hollow and deafening. Standing up, Merlyn turned to face the beast her hand outstretched to the lance. A quiet groan escaped the waking person as they turned their head to see the beast charging.

"Bregdan anweald gafeluec!!!"

Her eyes glowed golden and blue flames appeared on tip of Lancelot's lance. They danced in the darkness. Merlyn smiled in relief at the sight of the flames. Soon enough Lancelot's weapon pierced the heart of the beast. The griffin cried out as its heart was stabbed. As soon as the griffin hit the ground it was dead. The three froze at the sight. It was dead? It was dead!

"Yes!" Merlyn shouted breaking the silence. Lancelot turned his horse around and stared at Merlyn as he lifted his visor and revealed his sweaty but smiling face. Merlyn was ecstatic.