Chapter Sixteen: Poisonous Water

Morning had come and more deaths followed. It was insane. The deaths were just piling up, the bodies filling the space of the square. Merlyn felt sick as she had to make her way passed the bodies. The water supply that fed the city was over the drawbridge so Merlyn was forced to walk through the castle. The bucket she was carrying swung from her hand as she raced towards the pump. Swiftly, Merlyn placed the bucket beneath the pump before she began to gather the cool liquid, Gaius and herself were running low on the water.

Having such a dry throat Merlyn reached forward and cupped her hand underneath the fountain. Swiftly, Merlyn brought her hand to her mouth and drank the small amount of water that she had managed to catch. She sighed in relief as the water soothed her throat. The bucket filled quickly, allowing Merlyn to race back to Gaius who had received yet another body.

Merlyn could see the infected around town. Their veins began appearing clear on their faces, then their skins turned pale before gaining a milky blue colour, then their veins turned a dark blue before their eyes began to glaze over and then they were dead – the whole process was happening within 24 hours of the veins being pronounced. It was terrifying to say the least. The thing was Merlyn swore she recognised this type of disease – it was clear to her that it was magically caused but she felt a niggling in the back of her head, like she knew something about this kind of disease but couldn't put her finger on it.

As Merlyn reached Gaius' chambers, she placed the bucket of water on the side. Gaius was hovered over a female ... courtier? Merlyn was shocked; all the other victims had been townsfolk, servants – people who were mainly found to live in the lower town.

"Ah, Merlyn" Gaius called, waving her over to the table. Merlyn made her way to the table and studied the women – pale faced, glazed eyes, blue veins, she definitely had the disease. "What's different about this victim?"

"Err, she's a courtier" Merlyn replied

"So?" Gaius prompted. Merlyn frowned. There was a thousand answers to that question, Gaius was wanting a specific answer but Merlyn wouldn't find it and she knew that. "Courtiers seldom go down to the lower town. So what does that mean?"

"Oh, she hasn't spoken to any townspeople, hasn't been in contact with them" Merlyn replied, Gaius nodded encouragingly, "So the disease isn't spread by contact."

"Good. Anything else?" he questioned.

"They ... probably ate different food, ruling out contaminated food being the cause" Merlyn continued.

"So what's the only thing they do share?"Merlyn frowned as she thought of everything and anything. Sighing, she looked down at the table and noticed her fingers. They shone in the light ... the light reflecting of the water that was on her hand. Lifting her eyes up, Merlyn's gaze landed on the bucket of water she had just pumped.

"Water. They share water" Merlyn said quietly. Merlyn swallowed. She knew what was coming. As the truth of her own situation surfaced so did a thought from the deepest recessives of her mind – a water based disease that was causing bodies to be left perfectly healthy bar their appearance, she had seen this before she knew it ... or at least something similar.

"Exactly, the disease most likely is being spread through the water" Gaius agreed "Now I need you to go –"

"No you don't" Merlyn interrupted, "I've already got water. Got some just before coming here." Merlyn walked over to the bucket and carried it over to Gaius. "But I think we have an issue" Merlyn begun turning her worried gaze to Gaius, "I drank some of the water."

~8~

Once again Arthur found himself in the Council Chambers, however, this time the table was filled with Council members. Everyone was once again waiting for Gaius and Merlyn who had apparently discovered how the disease was spreading. Arthur could tell that everyone was gratefully for that news – the disease was getting way out of hand. The King was sat at the head of the table whilst the other members filled the rest of the seats and Arthur stood up behind his own seat, too restless to sit. Suddenly, the doors opened allowing for Gaius and Merlyn to appear.