Chapter Thirty-Six: Consequences Of The Great Purge

Gaius now knew the truth, he had spent all night searching for the answer he wanted and he found it. But two questions had remained: what was he to do with this information, and what was Edwin's plan? Well, there was only one way to find out. Gaius had gotten up the next morning; found Merlyn had already left, before he headed for Edwin's chambers. He was going to see what Edwin had to say for himself.

"Edwin" Gaius greeted as he entered the other physician's chambers and shut the door behind him, not even bothering to ask if he could enter. "Your scar has healed well. I often wondered what happened to that poor young boy." Edwin stiffened at Gaius' words, irritation flickering in his eyes.

"I told you we've never met before" Edwin said with a tight smile on his face.

"I didn't realise who you were until I checked the records" Gaius said, "You used your mother's maiden name. You are Gregor and Jaden's son."

"They were friends of yours" Edwin replied dropping his pretence, he knew he had been caught. Gaius knew who Jaden and Gregor were, and he did remember them but not with fondness.

"They were sorcerers" Gaius spoke.

"They practised magic" Edwin snapped before he took a calming breath and returned his demeanour back to the kind and calm one he showed the world. Despite the anger he felt. "And so did a lot of people back then, Gaius."

"Uther will be furious when he finds out who you are" Gaius said, fighting the smirk off his face. He had known something was strange about Edwin, he had known that there was no such thing as a remedy to cure all ills and now he had proved it.

"Fine. Fine" Edwin suddenly said. Gaius frowned at the younger man, what did he have against him? Edwin was acting as if he could get out of this. "Shall we tell him? Let's go and tell him. Let's tell him. Let's tell him everything." Edwin swiftly walked to his chamber door and grabbed the handle meanwhile Gaius looked on in concern. What was going on?

"Ooh, I know" Edwin suddenly stopped and span around to face Gaius a smirk on his face. "We could also tell him about Merlyn."

"Merlyn?" Gaius questioned, playing the part of ignorance well.

"You didn't know she was a sorcerer?" Edwin asked even though they both knew that Gaius knew. "Ah. I wonder what Uther will do. Probably have her burnt or drowned or perhaps beheaded with a blunt axe," Gaius visibly flinched as the images of such deaths occurred in his mind. Edwin scoffed before he walked back into his room, leaving the door closed. Gaius watched the younger physician wearily.

"You would betray another sorcerer?" Gaius asked. But it was the wrong thing to say.

"You did" Edwin snapped before he started shouting, "When you turned a blind eye and let my parents die at the hands of Uther! At least Merlyn doesn't have a son who will try to rescue her from the flames!" Edwin gestured to his face as the painful memory washed over him. He could still remember the smell of burning flesh, his own flesh.

"You're here to take revenge" Gaius stated getting all the answers he had wanted but finding a whole new problem.

"And I have waited a long time" Edwin growled resting his hands on his table, leaning closer to Gaius who stood on the other side. "And if you dare tell anyone who I am, including the girl, Merlyn's little secret will be revealed to the king. If I am to die so is she." Trying to keep his personal feelings hidden from view, Gaius went to speak but there was suddenly a knock at Edwin's door.

"Edwin, its Merlyn, I've got your provisions!"

Gaius froze as Edwin smirked. Edwin knew what Gaius' decision would be ... even if Gaius didn't.