3.7 ♖ From Bogland to Moorland

[ this books was actually supposed to be really cute and shit, but you know, i kinda suck at writing fluff—but i might try ... one day !! lol ]

His feet were fused to the ground and with every passing second roots seemed to sprout out of them and grow into the ground, making it harder for him to make a move

With his heart pounding against his chest so rapid and hard he almost feared it'd break a rib bone of his. even his body knew that they were, nicely said, fucked. Downright and utterly doomed in the blank area without any hideouts in reach.

The clamour noises of roamers snarling and groaning rose into all directions, echoed through the thin air and penetrated their ears with a numbing sensation as if the volume was razor-sharp and cut into the sensitive skin of their ears.

Nightmares, everything bad imaginable, were delving into Ron's mind. Pestering their way inside his ear canals and hurdling over the barriers they used to hold like dreamcatchers in the entrance. But there was no barrier against negativity now, and maybe that, made it all worse. Negative thoughts bickered with the positive ones which were clearly in the minority and won over them fairly quickly in a way that Ron started shaking madly and his knees were giving under him, akin to pudding in the feel.

Something had lured them out of the dark, he could hear their screechy groans and multiple feet scraping against the ground as if lifting them up was a huge effort and staggering was the only way for them to move--walkers, all around them, circling in rows like walls capturing them in a distance. Too many to fight off, a hoard too dense to escape. In other words; they were trapped.

And it seemed like the only way to go was the Funfair, there were walls, at least. sturdy ones that could keep them safe like Alexandria's walls did. They would need to be extra careful there, yes. but it was better than being eaten by walkers, anything was. And so, without needing to negotiate, they started following the blinking lights on the horizon in a high tempo.

They charged across the empty wasteland. With every step, their shoes sunk into the soft soil and pounded divots into it. The farther they went the softer the earth got. It was marshy and hard to keep a steady pace with the mud getting stuck on their soles and after a while it wasn't just the soles but their entire footing that was covered in the wet and slimy substance.

it oozed into the openings of Ron's boots, wetting his socks and concealed him with an unwell feeling as he dipped into the mud with a squelching, sucking noise and pulled his feet out of the mud for another step forward.

The field felt so raw and fresh as if the safe-zone was just shovelled out of existence recently, or perhaps it had sunken inside of it and for it did indeed resemble  quicksand to some point, he wouldn't be surprised if it actually occurred just like that.

His breath went in an unnatural fast rythym and with every farther step he felt like his lungs were squeezed out of air as he hit the unpredictable ground which was too soft or too hard on spots he only found after stepping on them.