3.4 ♘ Backstabbing

[ i have this shitty lighter, and since i have it, i swear i only smoke like one cigarette a day because it's rlly hard to turn it on and all, that is, if you want to quit get a shitty lighter, works wonders

also this chapter is short and shitty but next one is gonna be better... really. lol ]

A smack against skin, a knee kicked with brunt between two legs and the sound of groans, screams and shoes scraping over the soil was what filled the silent forrest with noises and movements.

Ron couldn't keep his gaze on a specific spot as the object of his focus (an arm, a head, a dried blood streak, a clean cheek) was moved with the next blink of an eye.

His fear on the other hand kept itself solid on the same spot by the void in his stomach, hid in the salt of his sweat and interior air that clogged inside his throat into a lump.

His back still pressed against the tree as if he was still pinned to it, his wrists were lined by red marks and throbbed from the previous grip they were exposed to. The shock still sat deep in his bones marrow.

"Ron!"

Ron looked up and had no idea which of the boys called for him, the voice so identical to the octave and the loud noises of the brawl didn't exactly make it easier for him to identify it.

"Ron!" He called again, this time the voice wrought into his subconscious as he recognised something familiarly soft swelling within it, then in time with Ron looking up he met the eye of the Carl with clean cheeks, no blood sticking to it, he had managed to push the other Carl away from him, sending him stumbling backwards.

"You need to close your eyes and imagine this is going well, Ron!"

Ron just stared at him, forming a toneless "What?" With his lips. the request was so absurd and didn't make sense, why on earth would he do that when there were two boys caught up in a war of death in the middle of the night, with a freaking corpse laying not far away?

Carl must've sensed his confusion because he shouted another instruction at him before his waist was looped by the other Carl's arms and his body thrown to the ground "Just trust me! You have think positive—"

A cloud of soil polluted the air and covered the two entangled bodies with a brown fog, Ron pressed his eyes together and as absurd as it was actually followed through with what Carl demanded for him to do.

Thinking positive,

What was positive? He raided his brain for anything, smiling flowers, his mother brining him his favourite snack from the pantry, what the hell was positive enough at this point? Was it a rainless day with a clear blue sky or the fun of not throwing up for once after stooping down to look at the bizarre height of a quarry? No, this couldn't be it.

"Ron! You need to think more convincing!"

Ron shook his head frantically, his eyes squeezing closed even more till his eyelids started stinging "WHAT IS MORE CONVINCING?!" He yelled back at him, his voice shaky and high-pitched from the fear.

There was a groan and a cracking of a approximately thick twig before another heavy-breathed reply roared over to him.

"SO-SOMETHING YOU ACTUALLY BELIEVE IS POSITIVE—oh fuck— GODDAMN!"

Ron's eyes shot open and what he saw killed off all the positive thoughts he had somewhat gathered in his head. Bloody-Carl was closing in on OG-Carl with an object grown in the palm of his hand which was daubed with a glistening coat of dark-red blood.

—it was no other than the exact knife he had seen before, in his very nightmare.

Carl was retreating multiple feet from Bloody-Carl, one step after another while not letting the knife out of his sight, one wrong move was all it needed for him to be stabbed by it.

The air grew thin for Ron, and despite his own fear he scrambled his feet firmly to the ground and away from the tree. He was planning an attack without bloody-Carl noticing since he was turned with his back towards him. And Ron might've had the power to actually do something, had the knife not grazed Carl's shirt, tearing a massive hole into his shirt and giving him a gash from the lower abdomen to his right.