"Good morning family", he announced happily. I watched as my Mother panicked silently, not wanting to show him how much he got to her.

"Morning," I replied dully, my mother doing the same. Her voice was quiet, not being enough to satisfy my Father's sick fantasy of a perfect family. Sliding his hand to the pocket of his jacket, he fished out a switchblade and reached over my Mother's shoulder so she could see it. I took in the look of delight on his face as he pressed a button on the knife, revealing the silver blade. Seeing his weapon, she couldn't stop herself from shaking in fear. He drew it closer to her, my Mother closing her eyes and bracing for impact.

He was gentle in pressing the blade to her cheek, only applying enough pressure to make a small cut. Leaning close to her ear, he chuckled darkly.

"I said good morning," he repeated, revelling in how afraid he had made her.

"G-good morning dear," she tried again, hoping that was enough for him. She jolted in fear as he pulled back suddenly, his wide smile only visible to me.

"That's more like it!" he cheered, pushing the blade away before returning it to his pocket. I watched as he sent me a wink, walking out of the room without a care. Knowing that he was gone, my Mother gasped before the tears started rushing out. Lifting her hands to her face, she wept. I hated seeing her like this.

I hate this family

I didn't hesitate to walk over to my Mother, wrapping my arms tightly around her. I was the only one here who could provide her comfort here, without me she would be alone with him.

"It's going to be okay," I whispered, hoping that I could reassure her even though things like this happened every day. She continued to cry into my chest, her tears never seeming to stop. But I don't blame her for crying, especially after what he does to her.

He hurts her.

He humiliates her.

I've seen the scars.

She's not his wife, she's his prisoner.

"I-I'm sorry you were brought into this," she sobbed. It still surprised you how she could continue to blame herself even though none of this was her fault. 

"You did nothing wrong."

She continued to cry who a little while longer before managing to calm herself down. I was always surprised that she could hold so much hope after being trapped here for so long. 

"We'll be okay, one day someone will come and save us," she assured, wiping her face of any evidence of her tears. I watched her as she mustered a smile, continuing to stay optimistic even though I knew no one was going to come here and save us.

"Of course," I agreed. I hate lying to her but was the only way to keep her sane. If she were to lose all hope then I don't know what I'd do. She's the only one I care for, my only family. By her appearance now I can tell that she's nearing her breaking point, making me worry how long we have left. No heroes are going to come and save us.

I hate this life

Once she had properly settled down, she stood from her seat and returned to the kitchen to finish making breakfast. I watched as she stood before the stove, her eyes looking dead. I know that she hates this, I hate it here too and she has it much worse than me. The only real positives I have are my Mother's presence and the fact that my Father wouldn't harm me.

I watched as he reentered the kitchen, making his way over to my Mother. He wrapped his arms around her waist, pressing his body up against her back. By her posture, I could tell that her body had stiffened at the unwanted contact. Leaning forward, he pressed a chain of soft kisses against the side of her neck.