Chapter 49: You Did This

Start from the beginning

"Cameron?"

I shake my head wishing I had killed him, too.

"Oh. You did what you had to" he squeezes my hand.

"I didn't even feel bad about it Christian. I didn't even flinch" my eyes water.

"Hey, hey!" He grabs my chin forcing me to look at him.

"After everything he's done to us, it's perfectly normal to not feel bad about it. I would have done it, too. I've worked to put away serial killers, and serial rapists, and every time it comes down to either them or the victim, I don't take a second to shoot. And afterwards I feel nothing but joy because I saved someone's child and the future victims he could've hurt. I don't flinch either. You know why?"

"Because of all the bad things they've done, I'm doing the world a favor by getting rid of them. They brought it upon themselves. They deserved to die. And the world deserves to be rid of another terrible person. Every terrible person that is put away makes this world a little bit safer. If I was in your position I would have shot him and went to sleep like a mere child. He hurt me. He hurt you. He hurt mom. He deserves to rot in hell,"

",there is nothing wrong with you. Not after everything that you've fought and been put through. You deserved that closure. You fought for that. Don't let him destroy you from the hell he's in" he wipes away a tear from my cheek.

"But I know that's not the only thing that's got you down, what's wrong? What happened?"

I try to contain my sobs. I stay silent for a good moment trying to build my composure back up.

"Grayson's lost his memory. I shot him right in front of Grayson. He passed out and I think the trauma was to much for him" I break into sobs.

He holds me tight and close as I cry into his arms. He doesn't say anything until I'm done crying.

"You had a choice to save Grayson and you took it. For gods sake the kids were in the house. If you hadn't taken action they could've been the next ones they would've hurt. Grayson will get his memory back. I promise you" he rubs my back as I take in what he said.

For a while we sit in silence only listening to the beeping of the monitors. No words need to be said. Just our mere presence to one another speaks for itself. He holds me in his arms once more before letting go.

"We're going after this son of a bitch today"

"Agreed" I look at him.

~

"Are you sure he'll be here?" He asks me.

I can hear the doubt in his voice.

"I'm sure" I don't bother to explain how I know he'll be here.

He likes to relive those moments. He's compulsive. Rather than actually taking action and raping someone he'll return to it. He'll take a souvenir to the place with him. My dress from that night had a very large rip in it. And my ring. The ring mom gave me. He has them.

I have no doubt in my mind that he'll have them. He's always had a thing for keeping more than one of my possessions.

"When will he be here?"