Twenty Three.

"Here you go" I hand a cup to the customer.

"Thanks, have a good day"

I look at the clock above the front doors. Twenty more minutes until I'm out of here.

After about five minutes the shop becomes almost empty except for the few college students sitting at tables typing away on their laptops. I think about the endless amounts of homework waiting for me back at home and the art project I'd been avoiding for weeks. 

"Maya" Dave nudges my shoulder and points at the register.

"Sorry" I shake my head. "I got distracted"

"Seems to happen pretty often"

"You know me so well" I grin at him and walk to the register.

When my shift is over it's dark outside and the wind whips my hair back as I walk. I get to the apartment building pretty quickly, walking faster than I normally do. 

As I unlock the door to our apartment I hear Riley yell from the kitchen.

"Hi Peaches!"

"Hey Riles" I reply, dropping my backpack by the door.

I walk into the kitchen and see Riley sitting at the table doing some work.

"How was the cafe?" She asks as I sit down across from her.

"Uneventful as usual" I sigh, propping my chin up on my hand.

I look around and something seems off. The apartment is quieter than usual.

"Where's Missy?" I ask, peering at Riley's notebook.

"Um she's at a party I think" 

"That girl really has no days off" I laugh, standing up and walking to the fridge.

"There's some soup in there" Riley states without looking up from the table.

"You're the best!" I squeeze her shoulder from behind.

"What would you do without me?" She smiles, sticking her tongue out at me.

Later that night Missy stumbles in the front door as Riley and I are watching a movie on the couch.

"Helloooo ladies" She grins, slipping off a high heel.

Riley looks over at the clock in the kitchen.

"Where have you been? You've been gone forever" Riley exclaims, placing her bowl of popcorn on the side table.

"Relax Mom... I was at the frat. You know, Lucas Friar's" She winks.

My stomach drops. "Why were you there?" 

"They have the best parties. Plus all the frat guys are sooo hot" She plops down on the couch in between Riley and I.

"Can't argue about the guys" Riley smiles, bringing her knees up to her chin.

"Speaking of... How is Minkus doing?" I ask, reaching over Missy and poking Riley's side.

"He's good. Perfect actually... I haven't seen him in a couple days though"

"I'm so happy for you! He seems likes really good guy"

Riley then proceeds to list everything she likes about him. She's like, "He is so amazingly smart, I've never met anyone so smart! He could have went to this genius school when he was younger but he wanted to stay with his friends which is so unbelievably adorable."

"Ew you're like in love with this kid or something" Missy giggles.

Riley swats Missy's arm, her face turning red. She's all, "Missy! I am NOT in love with him!"

"Oh but you could be" I grin. "I can see it now... Mrs. Riley Minkus! That has a nice ring to it."

"I've only known him for a little over a month" Riley says.

But by the way her eyes sparkle you can tell she's completely smitten.

We get halfway through our movie when Missy gasps and puts her hand on my shoulder.

"Oh duh!"

"What is it?" I ask as Riley presses pause on the remote.

"Some guy asked me about you at the party... really cute, wearing a beanie. Do you know who it was?"

I grin. "Was his name Josh?"

"Wait yeah it was! He was like, 'You're friends with Maya right?' and asked if you were coming out." 

"Oooh, looks like we'll have another wedding to plan" Riley laughs, bouncing in her seat.

"Ha ha very funny" I say, throwing a piece of popcorn at her.

I can't believe Josh asked Missy about me. I haven't seen him since that night at the store... I honestly thought he had forgotten I existed. 

I was really glad he hadn't.