Thirty Four.

I hear laughter through the door as I open it. Riley and Farkle are sitting on the small couch, curled under a blanket.

"Hey Peaches!" Riley grins, waving.

"Hi Riles" I reply, walking towards the kitchen.

I take the medicine and popcorn out of the plastic bag from the store, listening to them argue about what movie to watch.

"What about Star Wars?" Farkle asks, eyes wide.

"Can you STOP suggesting that every time we try to watch a movie?!" Riley exclaims, dropping the remote in her lap.

"I will not stop until you've seen every single Star Wars movie. It's completely disgusting that you have not watched any of them." He sighs, shaking his head.

I unwrap the bag of microwaveable popcorn and open up the microwave as I hear footsteps down the hallway. Lucas emerges from around the corner and stops when he sees me.

"Hey" he says, scratching the back of his neck.

"Hi" I reply, giving him a small smile.

He turns to walk into the living room but stops like he is about to say something. He stands there for a second, then shakes his head and sits down on our other couch. 

I turn back to the microwave, close the door, and press start on the timer. The microwave lights up and the bag of popcorn begins to spin.

"You okay, Maya?" Riley asks me from the sofa.

"Yeah" 

"You sure?" She gives me a concerned look.

"It was nothing. I just saw Josh at the store."

Lucas goes still, his body rigid.

"Did he says something? About that night?" Her eyes widen and she sits forward in her seat.

Lucas still hasn't moved an inch.

"No. He saw me... but he didn't say anything" I say as I twist a ring on my finger.

"Okay." She claps her hands together. "So what movie are we watching?"

I take a deep breath, grateful for the change of subject. Lucas looks like he feels the same way.

"How about something funny?" I suggest, grabbing the popcorn out of the microwave.

"I'm down for funny" Lucas agrees.

"But I want romantic" Riley whines.

"Don't you have enough romance in your life?" Lucas rolls his eyes.

"Never" Riley replies, shaking her head at him.

"How about 50 First Dates?" Farkle adds as he scrolls through Netflix. "Funny and romantic!"

"Fine, just start it already" Lucas groans.

"How are you in a bad mood and the movie hasn't even started?" I ask as I dump the popcorn into two bowls.

"I'm not in a bad mood" 

"Whatever you say, Negative Nancy" Farkle chuckles.

I walk back over to the living room and hand Riley a bowl of popcorn. "For you Madam"

"Thank you kindly!" She says as she takes the bowl from me.

I sit down on the other couch, placing the second bowl between Lucas and I.

"Thanks" He states, grabbing a fistful and shoving it in his mouth.

"Mhm" I nod, grabbing some for myself.

Halfway through the movie Farkle starts to fall asleep and Lucas can't take his eyes away from the screen.

"Not such a bad movie is it?" Riley teases him.

"I just can't believe he would do all of this just for one girl he likes!" I say, trying to think of any guy I knew that would go through all of that.

Farkle, probably.

"What do you think Lucas? Would you do that?" Riley asks, looking over at him.

I reach for our popcorn at the same time he does. Our hands brush against each other in the bowl. He looks at me, his gaze lingering, our hands unmoving

"I think I would. For the right person."

He looks back at Riley, moving his hand away from mine. Her eyes dart quickly between the two of us.

"I wouldn't doubt it" She smiles.