Twenty Two.

"So what happened with you last night?" I ask, taking a bite of pizza.

Riley smiles and shoves a forkful of salad into her mouth.

"Spill!" I urge, pulling her plate away from her.

"I will, I will" She rolls her eyes and sets her fork down, looking around the restaurant. 

"We're not under surveillance... just tell me!"

"We kissed!" She exclaims, covering her mouth with her hands.

"No way!!!" I squeal, my eyes wide.

"Mhmm. He walked me back to the apartment building and he just kissed me. Like one of those big movie kisses" She sighs, looking off in the distance as if she's imaging it.

"Oh Riles I'm so happy for you" I smile, squeezing her hand.

"He's just so perfect" 

"Finally someone who seems worthy of you" I chuckle, biting into my slice again.

"Okay who ate the rest of the birthday cake ice cream!?" Missy exclaims, her head inside the freezer.

"Guilty" I raise my hand in the air.

"Dude you know that's my favorite" Missy whines, shutting the freezer and facing me.

"I know I'm sorry... but the only other ice cream that was in there was Riley's banana split one and I hate the nuts in it"

"You know what this means don't you?" Riley asks, raising her eyebrow.

"Nooooo" I groan, shoving my face in a pillow.

"You have to go get some" She says, poking my side.

"Please don't make me. I'm in my pajamas" 

"I don't make the rules, I just follow them!" 

"Ughh, fine." I sigh, getting off the couch.

I walk into my room, grab a coat, and slip on some sneakers.

"If I see anyone I know I will murder both of you in your sleep!" I yell as I head out the door.

I hear them laugh as I head down the stairs.

"Birthday cake, birthday cake, birthday cake" I whisper to myself, scanning the pints of ice cream behind the glass.

Vanilla, vanilla bean, chocolate, rainbow sherbet, peanut butter cup, cookie dough, strawberry, banana split. I stare at the choice for five solid minutes and still cannot find one birthday cake.

What the hell?

"Where are you?" I ask.

And then I spot it. You have got to be fucking kidding me.

There the birthday cake ice cream sits. On the top shelf. I swing open the door, cold air blowing into my face. I stand on my tiptoes and reach for it. I'm still a few inches short. I try to jump and grab it, still no luck.

"This has got to be the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life" A voice says from behind me.

I slowly turn around to face Lucas, who can't seem to stop laughing.

"You really can't reach that?" 

"Shut up!" I exclaim, smacking his arm.

"You really are something Maya Hart" He smiles, shaking his head.

"Can you just shut up and help me" I groan.

He grabs the pint effortlessly.

"Showoff" I roll my eyes.

He holds the ice cream out in my direction, but pulls it away as I'm about to take it from him.

"Dude!" I yell, grabbing for it.

"Uh uh uh" He clicks his tongue. "I'm not giving this to you unless I can get some of it"

"It's not for me idiot, it's for Missy"

"I'm sure she wouldn't mind" He smirks.

"You make me miserable" 

I try to take the ice cream from his tight grip again, but he holds it behind his back. He snakes his other arm around my waist and holds me into him.

"Let me go!" 

"Not until you let me have some of this delicious ice cream"

"No!" I exclaim, wriggling in his hold.

"You asked for it" He says.

He starts to tickle me and I lose it. I'm laughing so hard I start to cry.

"Lucas... Please.... Stop!!" I say in between giggles.

"Maya?" 

End my life now, please just let me die immediately.

Lucas drops his arm and I turn around to see Josh holding a soda and bag of chips.

"Hiii" My cheeks go red in seconds.

"Nice outfit" He chuckles, looking at my striped pajama pants.

I run a hand through my hair and straighten out my jacket.

"Thank you, it's the newest trend"

"I don't doubt it" He looks over at Lucas. "Hey"

"Hey" Lucas replies, clearing his throat.

"How have you been?" Josh asks.

"Good... despite being held in a gas station against my will" I glare at Lucas.

"Oh yeah, here" He hands me the ice cream.

"Well, I'll be seeing you then" Josh says, and starts walking away.

I shake my head and head towards the cash register.

After I pay for the ice cream and a bag of Skittles I start to leave the store. When I'm out the door I hear someone run up behind me.

"I'll be seeing you then" Lucas says in my ear and jogs in front of me.

He turns around and winks, then runs off.

I shake my head and find myself smiling the whole walk home.