Three.

❝I feel like we're as close as strangers❞

I had been at the party for about two hours and was already ready to go home. I had only met one person the whole night, Missy, and had only talked to Riley. I looked and felt like a lost puppy following her around the house wherever she went.  I decided it was time for me to do something alone for once and went off to get a drink. I headed towards the kitchen and grabbed a new plastic cup, even though I hadn't touched the one Missy had given me. I filled the cup and brought it up to my lips, crinkling my nose at the smell of the alcohol.

"I take it you don't drink much?" A voice said from across the counter.

I looked up to see a boy with dark brown curls, wearing a flannel and a beanie.

"I'm not really the drinking type" I replied, setting the cup down.

"And why is that?" He asked, walking around the counter towards me.

"I think it's the smell"

He laughed and shook his head. "You'll get used to it... C'mon you at least have to take one sip before the night's over"

I looked at the cup and picked it back up, staring at the brown liquid. He lifted his cup to mine, tapping it.

"Cheers!" he exclaimed, taking a sip.

"Cheers" I replied, drinking as well.

The taste of alcohol filled my mouth, warming my body as I swallowed.

"That wasn't so bad was it?" He asked, smiling down at me.

"I guess not"

"I'm Josh" he said, sticking his free hand out towards me.

"Maya" I replied, shaking his hand. "Weird.. I didn't know college kids shook hands"

"Rule number one: always be polite in the presence of a beautiful woman"

"Charming" I replied, feeling my cheeks redden.

"You're bl-" he started when he was interrupted by Riley coming up behind us, yelling about some nonsense drama.

"MAYAAAA! There you areee! I've been looking for you evvverywhere!" She yelled.

"Okay Riley just give me a sec" I replied, turning back to Josh. "I'm sorry I have to go"

"Bye rosy cheeks... May we meet again" He winked, walking away.

"Maya he was ca-yute!!" Riley giggled.

"I know...."

"Okay okay okay but you have to see this" She said, dragging me away.

She brought me to Missy who was doing a keg stand.

"She's been going for like EVER" Riley, exclaimed clapping her hands.

"You brought me to see this?" I groaned.

"It's so cool I wish I could do that" She sighed.

"Okay well Riley I want to go home"

"Now? Mayaaa the party is just starting!!" She huffed.

"Riley please" I groaned.

"Ugh fine. Let me just get Missy she has to stay with us tonight" she replied, going off to get her.

After a few minutes of waiting I started walking over to Riley when someone slammed into me, spilling their drink and mine all over my shirt.

"Shit" they mumbled

I opened my mouth to yell when I looked up and saw him. THE him.

"Damn I'm sorry"

"It's fine... I mean i'd rather drink my beer than wear it but it's fine" I replied, looking at my soaking torso.

He laughed looking down at me.

"Here, I can help you get cleaned up... I'm sorry" he smiled again, motioning towards the kitchen.

"Yeah you look it... Just forget about it, it's fine"

I turned and started to walk away when he ran in front of me.

"At least let me give you a shirt?!" He exclaimed, standing in my way.

"Look it's fine, don't worry about it"

I pushed my way around him and headed towards Riley. When I got to them they were staring at me wide eyed.

"First of all what happened to you and second of all why the hell was Lucas Friar CHASING after you?!?!!" Missy shouted.

"He just spilled his drink on me it's not a big deal" I shrugged.

"It's Lucas Friar, it's a big deal" Riley replied, crossing her arms.

"Whatever can we just go?" I asked, walking out the door.

When I got home and was laying in bed I found myself staring at the ceiling thinking about him. It could have been anyone that bumped in to me. Why did it just happen to be him? Riley sometimes talked about fate and how it didn't exist but in that moment I found myself wondering if fate had plans for me.

***JOSH IS NOT RELATED TO RILEY IN THIS STORY FOR PLOT REASONS SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION!!!!