Seventeen.

❝every time he smiles i let him in again.❞

"Just lay her on the bed" A voice whispers.

"Got it" A second voice responds. 

I suddenly am engulfed my the comfort of warm blankets. I slowly open my eyes, still tired and groggy.

"You're awake" Riley smiles, sitting on the bed next to me. 

"Hi" I mumble, rubbing my eyes.

I look around the room. I don't recognize this room.

"Where am I?" I ask.

"We're still at Lucas'" She says. She pauses for a moment. "Maya's not dead!" She yells.

I hear footsteps and someone comes into the room, standing by the doorway. Lucas.

"Glad to hear it" He replies, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"I'll get you some water" Riley exclaims, jumping up and hurrying downstairs to the kitchen.

We're left alone. I suddenly become very aware of the fact that I look like I've been hit by train and try to blow stray pieces of hair out of my face. He laughs, leaning against the doorframe.

"Is this your room?" I question, peering over at him.

"Yes"

 I look at him for longer than I should.

"What?" He asks, brushing his hand through his hair.

"You could've killed him" I say quietly.

He drops his head, staring at the floor. I look at him again and my gaze falls.

"Lucas" I gasp.

He looks back up at me, confused, until he finds my gaze fixed on his hands. He slides them back into his pockets. His knuckles are covered in cuts.

"I'm sorry you had to see that. I'm... I'm not that guy. I've tried so hard not to be him. I'm not that guy anymore" He rushes, shaking his head.

"What do you mean?" I ask, not sure what he's talking about.

"Nothing" He says, brushing it off. "I'm just sorry you witnessed that. It was pretty bad"

"Well-" I take a deep breath. "I'm glad it was you. Riley was about to go get him herself which would have been way worse. She's very feisty you know" I attempt to change the mood.

He smiles but it doesn't reach his eyes.

"Here" Riley walks back into the room, holding a glass of water. 

She sets the glass down on a side table and sits back down on the bed.

"I'm gonna shower" Lucas blurts out awkwardly.

"Kay" Riley replies, scooting closer to me.

When he leaves the room she smiles widely at me.

"Remember the boy I talked to you about?!" she exclaims.

"Riley it's been a long night, you're going to have to elaborate" I sigh.

"God-like" She grins.

"Riiiiiight"

"He lives here!" She claps her hands.

"Really?"

"Yes! I was talking to him in kitchen. I think I'm in love!" She falls back onto the bed, holding her hands to her chest.

"Then what are you doing talking to me? Go be with him" I urge, poking her side.

"Maya" Her smile fades. "I can't leave you alone"

"Riley. I'm okay, I promise. Talk to him!" I smile.

"Are you sure?"

"I am one hundred percent positive" 

"Thank you!" She giggles, wrapping her arms around me.

"Now get out of here" I kick her butt as she gets off the bed.

"I'm going bossy!" She laughs again, walking out of the room.

Eventually I get bored of staring at the ceiling so I force myself to get out of the bed. My head spins when I first stand up but it calms down after a few seconds. I make my way to the dresser in the room. Pictures line the dresser. The first one I see is of a family. They are standing on the beach together, smiling and laughing. I spot Lucas next to a pretty blonde woman who I assume is his mother. I picture of Lucas and another boy catches my eye. I reach up to see it more closely when the door swings open. Lucas walks in. His sweatpants lay below his hip bones, and he's shirtless, his torso glistening with droplets of water. My stomach jumps up into my throat. He runs a towel through his damp hair, which flops in his eyes when he looks up at me. 

He walks over to the dresser, opens a drawer, and begins to go through its contents.

"Here" He says, pulling out a t-shirt and holding it out to me.

"What's that for?"

"To wear" He states.

I stare at the shirt in his hand.

"I'm good"

"Take the shirt, Maya" he insists, holding it out closer to me.

"I'm fine. I don't need it" I say, pushing it towards him.

"Maya just take it" He urges.

"Lucas, I can take care of myse-" I start.

"Maya!" He interrupts. "Just let me do something for you" He exclaims, wringing the shirt in his hands.

I shut my mouth. He holds the shirt out again and this time I take it.

"Thank you" he sighs. "The bathroom is to the left" 

I make my way out into the hallway and quickly find the bathroom. 

I stare at myself in the mirror. I look like a train wreck. I splash water onto my face and wash the makeup away. I slowly slide out of my dress and pull the t-shirt over my head. I sigh when I realize it barely grazes mid thigh. I ball the dress up in my hand and pad across the hallway back to Lucas' room. He's staring at the picture I had been looking at when I walk through the door. He quickly looks in my direction and returns his gaze back to the picture. Then his head slowly turns back to me. His eyes quickly look me up and down. I try to casually pull the shirt down. He clears his throat and walks to the side of the bed. I notice there are blankets and pillows laid out on the ground. I walk over to them.

"I'll take the floor" I suggest.

"No you'll take the bed" He says, pointing a thumb over his shoulder.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah" He replies, walking over to the light switch.

I pull back the covers on his bed and stare down at them.

"You okay?" He asks.

"Yeah... it's just weird" I shake my head.

"I know" He chuckles.

I slide into the bed and wrap myself in the blankets. They smell like him. He hits the lights and the room goes dark. He begins to lay down when he misses his pillow and smacks his head onto the ground.

"Shit" He groans.

"Oh just get in" I sigh.

"What?"

"You can sleep in the bed"

"I'm good down here"

"Get in the bed Lucas" I shout.

He doesn't say anything but the bed moves as his weights shifts onto it. I turn to face away from him, keeping quiet. We don't say anything for awhile and I think he's fallen asleep.

"Lucas?" I whisper, hoping he's still awake.

"Mmm" he grumbles.

"I forgive you" I say, squeezing my eyes shut.

And even though I can't see him I can tell he's smiling.