Chapter 20

It's so fun in the car with the others and I'm happy they really all accept me. Zack is asking me all kinds of questions while he's driving to find out more about me. Alex just listens to my answers and stares at me. "So what was the first gig you went to?", Zack asks. "Panic!", I smile. "Oh, I love them." "Me too!", Matt says. Then a huge debate about what the best Panic! song and album is starts between me, Matt and Zack. Alex just smiles at it and doesn't even try to get into the conversation. As it's not going anywhere I say: "Come on, Alex, what do you think?" "I love them all", he says. "You don't! You have a favourite", Zack says. "And what is that?", Matt wants to know. I look at Alex with curious eyes. "Lying...", he says. "See I told you it's the best!", I grin. "Nah, he just says that because you said it", Zack says with a smirk.

We pull aside at a gas station and see the others drive in right behind us. As we all get out, Alex asks me: "I'm getting some snacks and a magazine, you want anything?" "Surprise me", I say because I don't care what he gets me and I want to see what he thinks I'd like. "Hey, Sarah!", I hear and see Jack walking towards us. Rian refills the tank of both cars as I see Matt and Zack going into the store behind Alex. "Hi", I say and smile at Jack. He has sunglasses on and looks really good in his outfit, just like Alex. "How are ya?", he asks, chewing gum. "I'm good." But I'm nervous about Alex' parents later. My heart beats faster and I'm more unsure every time I think about it again. "Hey, what's wrong?", Jack asks as he sees my face and leans next to me at the car. Should I tell him or will he tell Alex? "Um..." I stare to the ground. He waits and from the corner of my eye I see him looking at me. "It's just ... I'm nervous about meeting Alex' parents." "Oh, don't be! They're the nicest people ever!", Jack says, motivating me. "Seriously, they'll love you right away because you'll be the first girl he brings home." "Okay ... wait what?" Jack laughs. "What do you mean by the first girl?" I look at him, my face must be confusing. That can't be true. "As soon as we moved out and started touring Alex never brought girls home. I think the only one his parents ever met was his prom date. He has never been so serious." "You're kidding." "I wouldn't dare. Hey, you might have heard of Jalex. We're not gay but we're best friends and I don't joke about Alex when it's about his feelings. He really likes you and that's why he wants you to meet his parents, okay? He has to be sure about it because otherwise you would not be here with us." I breathe in deeply. If that's true I'd be the happiest person ever. "And you obviously like him a lot too otherwise you wouldn't smile like an idiot right now after I said that." He laughs and I join in. "I hope Alex got beer", he says and looks into the station shop where Alex is just paying. "Thanks for telling me that about him", I say to Jack with a serious face. He smiles. "No problem. I think you guys are great together." I blush. Alex and I are great together. And that's what Jack says. I can't believe it. But of course he can't be serious for over five minutes. "Why don't you join us in the single's car, huh?", he asks. "Because she's not single", I hear Alex say next to me. I smile and he leans in to kiss me. "Luckily not", he adds. "Oh, stop being so cheesy!", Jack laughs and sits into the car, taking one beer out of Alex hands. We all sit again and drive on. Alex got some chips for us and a coke each. He also bought Alt Press magazine for me and when I get my phone out and start to listen to music he asks me for one headphone to listen along. He softly pulls my face on his leg and I sleep on his lap a little while he plays with my hair.

Zack drops us of at Alex' old home, his parents' house. I get more and more nervous. I never met anyone's parents really. That official and it's so different than with my mum before. Alex agreed on meeting all of the others afterwards when they suggested to all go eat lunch together and I can't wait. Because then I'll not be that exited and confused anymore because by then I'll have met Alex' parents. All I know about them is what they said in Straight To DVD. But it's completely different meeting them that way. When Alex takes out our stuff and carries it to the door he looks at me. He looks worried. "Are you okay?", he asks and puts down the suitcases. "Yeah, I'm alright", I say bravely. He lies his arm around me and kisses my forehead. "You're nervous, huh?" "A little...", you have to admit. "My parents will love you, I promise." "Jack told that's the first time you bring someone home." He smiles but still blushes. "It is." "Why?" "Because no one has ever been that important enough to me to bring her home." My heart melts. "Really?" "Really." "Kind of makes the pressure go higher." He smiles. "Don't be nervous", he says. Then he softly kisses my lips and pulls me closer to his side as he rings the doorbell. I see Alex' mum opening. She smiles happily as she looks at both of us. First she tightly hugs Alex with that motherly smile that shows how much she missed him and how long it's been since she last saw her son. "Good to have you here, honey", she says. Then she turns to me. She looks really sweet. "You must be Sarah. I could not wait to meet you! Alex told me so much about you! I'm Isobel, by the way." She hugs me and I suddenly am not afraid anymore. "Come in, you two!", she says and takes one of our suitcases. Alex take the other one and we follow her inside. As we come into the house and the door is closed, Alex dad walks up to us. "Great to have you home, Alex!", he says and high fives Alex. Then he politely smiles at me. "And you must be Sarah. I'm Peter, nice to meet you", he says and shakes my hand. "Same...", I stutter nervously. "The house is beautiful." God, did I really just say that? That stupid fucking standard phrase? The house is beautiful? Oh, now they'll think I'm a complete idiot. "Thanks", she says. Or she thinks I'm being a polite girl. A lot better. "So are the others already at their places?", Alex' dad asks. "Yeah, Zack dropped us of. We're meeting them later." "Alex, why don't you show Sarah the room upstairs?", Isobel suggests. "Alright, come on", he says, smiles at me and waves to follow him. I thankfully walk upstairs behind him. As they can't hear us anymore, he says "I hope they don't make us sleep in separate beds" and laughs. I hope that too. "Oh, they give us the big bed, nice!", he says as we walk into some kind of guest room. "I never knew how my parents act around girls." I laugh. "I still think it's crazy that you never brought any girls home." He puts down our stuff. "I just never felt like it." "That's so weird." "Did you bring home many guys?" I shake my head. "How many?" I look down to the ground. "None." "See." "Yeah but it's understandable. You're older and I mean ... look at me." "What do you mean?" "Who would want to meet my parents? I've never really been dating", I admit. "I can't believe that." "A few dates, nothing big really." "That's so weird. Gladly I noticed your beauty before all the other guys did." I blush. Why does he say such sweet things? "Don't change the subject though", I joke. "It's really weird being the first girl your parents actually really ever meet." "I've just never been in love before." My heartbeat goes crazy. He walks towards me and pulls me into his arms. Then he leans in and kisses me. I play with the hair in his neck. He slowly makes me walk backwards and pushes me down to the bed. He's over me, kissing my neck and I'm sure he's gonna leave a hickie right were his lips are right now. His hands wander under my shirt but he's not undressing me. He kisses me passionately and I mess up his hair but he doesn't mind.