Chapter 2

I watch the landscape rush by and try to fake a calm face. My heart is going incredibly fast and my mind isn't making it possible for me to relax. I still can't believe this is happening. I can't put my thoughts in order and I'm still wondering where he's gonna take me. And I still have no idea why he even asked me out. To ask him about it would be really akward, right? You normally don't ask people why the wanted to take you out either. But this is different, it's because he's ... Alex. He's him, it's different. And I'm just a fan. I remember watching interviews with bands who were asked if they'd date fans. I don't remember what Alex' answer to this question was but now I obviously know, yes. Otherwise I would not be sitting here next to him, in his car. I imagine what would've happened if I would've listened to my mum and just stayed at home for studying. I wouldn't have seen Alex, he would not have asked me out and then he probably would've even asked some other girl. And I am so lucky to be in this position right now. Asking him why he asked me out would totally be weird and probably ruin everything. I can't be that stupid. So I tell myself again to act normally. We've been driving for quite a while now and sky is becoming darker and darker. I see the sun going down, far away looking at the horizon. Were is Alex driving? I've never even been around here in the area before. "You really don't want to tell me where we're going?", I ask and I'm afraid I'm annoying Alex with the question. But he just smiles. "We're almost there", he says. He finally leaves the highway and drives into a little forest. He closes the windows and I get scared a little because it's so dark right now. And it's not even a real forest, there are just trees around but also street lamps glowing around on the side of the street. But then the lights become fewer and then it's completely dark and the car lights are the only thing that's lightening up the way. Suddenly he stops the car in front of an old grey shack. I hear the cars rush by behind me, I just can't see them because of the trees. I look around. I'm scared. What is going on? He gets the windows down again. "Here we are", he says but I don't understand a thing. "What?", I ask confused. I hear a clicking noise behind me and see an old movie projector, how could I miss that before? I look back to the wall of the shack and everything's brighter around again even though there are no street lamps anymore. A big square appears on the wall and music starts playing. I look at Alex as he grabs something from the backseat. Out of a paper bag he gets a popcorn bucket and puts it in the middle of us. Then he hands me a coke. I blink many times and then stare at him for a few endless seconds. Wow, how sweet is that? I look forward and take a sip of my drink. "Do you like it?", he asks. I can only nod, I'm speechless. This idea is so cute even though I remember it from something like a movie or TV show but whatever? I take a deep breath. Don't fangirl!, I tell myself. "So I hope you like old movies", Alex says with a smirk. "I do, why? What are we watching?" But then in the same second I recognize the music. "Breakfast at Tiffany's", Alex replies. "You're into girly movies?", I ask with a grin. "It's not girly, it's a classic", he says. "Do you like it?" "Of course, I love it!", I fangirl. Oh, god. Can't I just shut up? "Good, me too", he says. I lean back in my seat. I can't believe it though. I'm on a date with Alex and this is the sweetest thing he's doing for the date and I just keep fangirling inside, faking a calm face on the outside. I can't even focus on the movie because my mind is going crazy but that doesn't matter because I can talk along to the movie, I have it on DVD at home. I look at Alex from the side. His profile is actually perfect. He looks back at me because he caught me staring at him. God, how embarrassing. We both look back to the screen again. As George Peppard appears on the screen for the first time, Alex looks at me again. "Would you date him?", he asks. I look back at him with a slight grin. "I don't know", I admit. "Why not? Don't all these old movie actors seem perfect in girls' eyes?" "Not in mine", I reply. "I do not know one girl who isn't jealous of Audrey Hepburn though", Alex says. "Would you date her?", I ask back. He laughs at my wit. "I don't know", he says and smiles. "Doesn't she seem perfect in your eyes?" "No." We both stare at the screen again. I take some popcorn but try not to chew too loudly because my friend always tells me that I'm chewing way too noisy. It reminds me of that episode of How I Met Your Mother where they all realise what habits they have and Lily is the one always chewing too loud. As soon as I got my hand out of the popcorn bucket, Alex takes some. Wouldn't it be super cheesy if our hands touched in the popcorn bucket? But he obviously is a little bit cheesy, otherwise he wouldn't have set up this whole romantic thing here. And it is romantic, it really is. I should really stop these fangirl thoughts about him being cute and romantic or I'll ruin everything with a girly fangirl squeak. I decide to try and focus on the movie. After a few minutes I see Alex making the typical cinema move from the corner of my eye. He yawns, stretches his arm over his head and then lies it around me. He gently pulls me closer to his side. I smile because I'm so happy, my heart is going faster. I rest my head on his shoulder and close my eyes for a second. He smells amazing. I wonder if he can smell my perfume too but keep staring at the movie. "Was that a romantic idea for the date?", Alex suddenly asks and looks at me. I smile. "Absolutely, never tried it before?" "No, I wanted to do something special for you." My heart goes faster and because we're so close he can probably feel it bumping in my chest. But I don't want to move away from him so I just don't care. "So you like the idea?" "Yeah." "Good, I'm glad." As the movie goes on, we don't talk anymore but it's not even an akward silence. The moment the movie ends, Alex takes my hand and looks at me. My heart beats faster and faster. I don't blink and can't take the look away from his face. "I've been seeing you at all those shows, you know and I never really managed to ask you out. I'm so glad I did last night..." Oh god, he saw me at all the shows? Now I could actually start fangirling already because he knows that I'm some obsessive fan anyway. But those words made my heart just beat even faster. It makes me think of Panic! at the Disco lyrics. Let's get these teen hearts beating faster, faster...! And Alex is definitely making my teen heart beat faster. He smiles and then moves away from me, starting the car. We drive back through the forest and the lights appear again. I see him smile from the corner of my eye and can't help but smile too. I look out the window, I'm so happy at this moment. If he saw me at all the shows, he has been knowing about my existence for quite a while now. I would've never even dreamt of him knowing that I exsist. Wow. "Can I turn on the radio?", I ask. "Sure", he replies. I turn on the radio and hear one of my favourite Panic! songs. First I sing along just in my head and then just quietly. Then I realise Alex is quietly singing along too. As we both realise the other is singing along also, we become louder with the chorus and then both sing so loud that the people in the other cars might actually hear us. As the song ends, we both burst out laughing loudly at the same time. "You like Panic!?", he asks. "Yeah, I saw them live once. They were amazing." "I love them too. I really like their new stuff. I was afraid they'd go into the direction of the second album but I'm glad they're back to their old style." "Exactly what I thought!" He smiles. Wow, his smile is actually so beautiful.

As he stops the car in front of my house, I see that the lights are out so nobody's even home. Alex gets out of the car and as I just undid my seat belt, he opens the door for me. "Thanks", I say with smile. I get out of the car as well and as he walks me back to the door, he lies his hand on my back again. I look at him and he just smiles. The porch lights go on as soon as we reach the stairs. I have no idea what to do. Invite him in? No, that would seem weird. I look at him and hope that he knows what to do right now. "Can I take you out again? To dinner ... tomorrow night?", he suddenly asks. My back shivers and my heartbeat speeds up again. God, what is he doing to my heart? I try to keep calm and look up to him. "Yes, actually." His face brightens up so much. "Okay..." He starts playing with his hair while saying that. He gently hugs me and then turns around to go to his car. But the minute I want to open the door, I hear him talk to me again. "Hey, do you like to dance?" I turn around again and see him back at the stairs. I shake my head. "To be honest, not really." "Alright, I was just wondering", he says with a smile on his lips. He turns around again. "Alex?" "Yeah?" We look at eachother from a far. No! Don't can't ask him, don't! "Why did you ask me out?" No. The words just rushed out of my mouth, I couldn't do anything. I totally made a fool out of myself now, why did I ask him that? Shit, shit, shit. I managed to be calm the whole evening and now I ruin it by being so pathetic the last minute. He walks back to the door to me and locks my eyes. "Like I said ... I've been seeing you at all the shows and saw you smiling and you just fascinated me, I wanted to get to know you." I can't blink, I can't take the look away from his beautiful brown eyes. "I hope you're not scared away by what I just said", he says and shyly bites his lip. I slightly shake my head. "No, I want to get to know you, too", I hear myself say. "You have no idea how happy I am to hear that." The he turns around again and I watch him walking to the other side of the car. Before he gets in, he blows a kiss into my direction. I watch him drive away until I can't see the car anymore. I smile, open the door and get into the house. I close the door behind me and let myself slide down to the floor with my back against the door. I put my chin on my knees and smile. A happy squeaking noise escapes from my mouth. I have no idea how long I'm sitting there but as I stand up and pick up my purse from the floor that I threw away earlier, I ask myself if I can really get to know Alex. I'm such a fan, I won't even hear any new things when he tells me something about himself. Other than him, when I say something, it'll all be knew to him because he doesn't know me at all. I watched so many interviews, I know all the songs. The point of views between us towards eachother are so different. I walk upstairs and decide to not think about all that because it totally confuses me. I've been shy the whole night, that would even make it worse tomorrow.