Chapter 13

I leave the room. Anna looks at me. We both can't believe it. "I'll leave. I can't handle this atmosphere, this hospital air anymore. I need to sleep, this is too much for me. But I'll put my loudest ringtone on and when anything happens ... you have to call me until I take the call. I'll be back here immediately", Anna says. She's desperate, I see that. I hug her closely. "You should sleep. You don't look healthy at all. But from now on, it's all gonna be fine. Joel's awake, he's fine. You don't have to worry. The doctor said there is no danger. He's alright, there is nothing we have to worry about." "Except for Kyle." "But that's not your problem. You were sad about Joel, he's alive. You should be happy." "I am ... I'm just worried. He forgot two months, what if he forgets more? What if he won't remember us?" "He has known us for 10 years, he will not forget us." "But..." "You're expecting the worst." "I just don't want to be disappointed again." "Go home and get some sleep. Tomorrow everything's gonna be good." "Call me, seriously." "I will." She hugs me closer. "Bye, Alex", she says and walks down the stairs. Alex stands up and looks at me. He wipes the tears from my cheeks. "I think I owe you the story", I whisper. He smiles. "You don't owe me anything. Just sit and relax", he says. He sits down and pulls me onto his lap. "Who is in there?" I breathe in deeply. He wants to know and I can't blame him. "It's my friend, Joel. He had been in a coma for four years and now he's awake." My eyes fill with tears again, Joel's awake. It's all gonna be fine. "That's amazing, now I understand why you're crying from happiness. What happened to him?" "Well, remember when I told you about the guy who ... raped me ...?" "Yes", he says and I feel the tension in his body. He's upset, but why? "Well, when he started, Joel suddeny came in and he started to fight him. They fought for some time and I couldn't do anything. I was frozen. And Joel told me to run. But I didn't. I just stood there. I couldn't do anything. And then I saw how Kyle punched Joel in the face so hard that he fell back and hit his head and his neck on the stone floor. It was horrible. Kyle ran away when Joel passed out. There was blood everywhere. I called the ambulance and then I passed out myself. Joel was taken to the hospital and I had to talk to the police. Kyle wasn't found. He escaped and the only hope was Joel. But his brain is damaged, he has a lack of two months. The two months I was with Kyle..." "So he doesn't remember when he saved you?", Alex asks. I nod. "But I still thanked him and I will help him so much." I see a few doctors walking past us, going into Joel's room. "They're seeing if there's more damage...", I explain but I just really want them to finish and tell me that he's alright and I can go talk to him again. I don't think I'll ever leave his side again when I go back in. "It's all gonna be fine." "Why are you even staying here? I bet you have stuff to do...", I say. "It's not more important than you", he says with a soft voice. My heart melts as I see him looking at me like that. He's just so sweet. "Thank you", I whisper.  He smiles and holds my hands. "Are you okay?", he asks. "You don't need to worry about anything right now." "I need to worry about Joel's brain damage and the fact that Kyle is still out there. It's my permanent thoughts of worrying." "He won't come back, I bet. Why would he?" "I don't know. I just expect the worst, I'm scared." "You shouldn't be. You should be happy that your friend woke up." He kisses my neck from the side. "I'm so happy that you're here", I say. I really mean it. If I would be alone right now, I would probably pass out. That's why I'm so glad he's here. "I told you, I'll be there for you." I turn around to him and kiss him. He lets go of my hand and pulls be closer with his hand in my hair. "I could just kiss you so you're distracted", he says with a smile on my lips. I smile too. "You could." I have those mood swings always, it's kind of getting annoying to me. "So ... be happy that he's awake if that's why you were upset." I breathe in deepy and look into his eyes. "Why didn't you tell me that before?", he asks. "Because it was my fault", I admit. "What?" "It was all my fault. If I wouldn't have been so stupid about being with Kyle and going over to his place, Joel wouldn't have fought him and then he wouldn't have been in here." "It's not your fault that he was injured." "It was." "It wasn't but ... wait. Is that why you've been cutting yourself?", he asks. I look down, I can't stand his eyes looking into me like he's reading me. How does he know? "Yes..." "I thought so. I thought it wasn't because of the rape." "How did you think that?" "I thought that you weren't telling me something. But just know that this wasn't your fault." "Thanks ... my friends kept telling me." "So that was your best friend, Anna?" "Yeah, she was so sad about all that, she didn't even manage to come to the hospital with me before." "I can understand how upset you both were." "He was so important to us, you know. It was always us three." The doctors come out of the room. The doctor I've talked to before is the last. "You can talk to him now. You should actually explain it all to him and tell him what happened." "Do you want me to get you coffee?", Alex asks me. "You can leave if you want, Alex. You don't need to wait for me." "I'll get you coffee. And when you come out, I'll be right here, waiting for you." I smile, my heart beats faster. How can he still be so nice after I've been so mean to him? "Thank you", I say and kiss him fastly. He smiles again as I go in and close the door behind me.