Chapter 23

I can't believe I spend one week and a half with Alex and the others in Baltimore. Alex showed me all the places he loved to visit when he was younger and just the whole time being down here, I became such good friends with the others. And I also never felt closer to Alex. I'm so happy that he took me here and gave me the opportunity to see his hometown and hang out with him and the others.

He takes the suitcases downstairs and I follow him. "I can take one too, you know...", I offer but he ignores that, turnes around and kisses me. Then he puts the stuff in the car. "Come, drive in our car!", Jack says and points to the seat next to him. "She knows you'll tease her, why would she want to drive with you?", Zack asks with a grin. "I only talk to her when she's with Alex and I can never say anything because he protects her all the time even though I'm only joking." I look at Alex. Actually I'd love to drive with the others because it's probably really funny with Rian and Jack. "What do you think?", Alex asks me. "Let's just both drive in their car", I say. "No! No Alex!", Jack says. "Why not?" "I just told you." "Come on, you know they're just kidding. Drive with them, if you get tired of them you'll join our car when we take a break", Alex says. "Are you sure?" "Of course, they're my best friends and obviously they just want to get to know you a little without me there." "Rian did that at the club though." "You don't know Jack enough", he smiles. Then I lean back at the car, pull Alex closer to me and he kisses me softly. "I'll keep texting you the whole time", he says on my lips. Then we both get into the different cars. Rian's driving while I sit next to Jack on the backseat. "So ... look who we have on board", Rian grins as he starts driving behind Zack and the others. He puts on sunglasses and opens a pack of gum. "Want some?", he says throwing the box behind him. Jack catches it and hands me one. "Thanks." "So did you enjoy our hometown?", Rian asks. I nod. "It's amazing." "Admit that you already saw some on Straight To DVD." "Yeah, of course." "You wanna know something about Alex?", Jack asks. "What?", I ask interested. "Did he tell you he saw you at a lot of shows?", Jack says. "Yeah." Jack grins. "Well, after every show he saw you at he sat down nex to me on the bus with a beer, handed me one too and started complaining about himself because he didn't walk up to you. At first I thought it was funny but then it actually got pretty annoying because I never saw you and couldn't even understand what was up. So he once showed me in the crowd where you were and I just made him go up to you after the show." "Thanks for that, Jack." But while I try to play cool, I blush because Jack told me that story. "We can tell you everything about Alex now", Rian says in front and laughs. "Don't embarrass him. I'd hate my friends talking to Alex about all the weird things I do." "But that's what guys do. Girls are always so mysterious about that stuff but we love to tell things about Alex." "He's gonna hate you." "Oh, no." Rian turns the radio on and we're all quiet for a few seconds. But of course Jack has to talk. "What was your favourite part in Straight to DVD?", he asks me. "Mindfuck." Jack and Rian both laugh. "Oh and when you sing Juliet's part of Remembering Sunday, Rian!" They laugh even more. "Please never leave Alex. He had so many stupid girls but you're the only one that's not stupid but really awesome." I blush as Rian agrees on that with Jack. And I remember the moment when I was about to meet them and had so much fear of what they'd think of me and if they'd respect me or not. But they actually really do and that makes me so happy. Is there something confusing that can happen? The band likes me and Alex' parents like me. "I don't think I'll leave Alex", I say with a smile. "I don't think he'll leave you either. He's so in love and he was so happy that you came here with us. He had a great time with you here." "I had a great time too." "Do you want to make the relationship public?", Rian asks in front. "I don't know. Does he?" "He's not sure. He's afraid that you'd get hate from stupid fangirls." "I'm scared of that too." "That's why he's confused about that." "Why are you telling me all that stuff?", I ask. "Because he's too shy to talk about some things and that's why we tell you so he doesn't have to be so nervous all the time. He plays with his hair then." "I recognized that!", I laugh.

After a break and a long kiss from Alex at the gas station I realise that I'm really tired so I go into the car with Alex. He hugs me from the side and lets me sleep on his shoulder. Rian and Jack completely understand that but they told me everything they wanted to anyway. And I'm glad they did because they are right about that, Alex is too shy to talk about some things. But I'm happy I know these little things now. As I get to my house, Alex carries my stuff to the door with me. He takes my hands and directly looks down on me. "I am so happy that you came with us. I might not have showed it that much but I'm really glad that you met my parents and I could show you my hometown. Did you have fun too?" "Oh, I loved it. It distracted me from all the shit in school and my past. Thank you, I still feel really surprised about that you even asked me to come with you." "It just felt right." I nod and smile. "It did." He leans down and kisses me. "I'll text or call you then", he says going back to the car. I wave and he blows a kiss into my direction. Then I open the door and as I come into the living room, my mum looks really angry. Shit, what's up?

"I'm back. What's wrong?" "I got a letter from school. You weren't that good. Are you prepared for the finals?" "Yes, mum, I am." "Are you sure? I think you've been spending too much time with Alex." "What? You said you liked him!" "I do but I think he distracts you a lot!" I can't tell her about Joel. She doesn't know. So she thinks it's all Alex. Dammit. Tears come to my eyes and start running down my face. I become angry too. My face turns red as I reply. "Mum! I am prepared, I studied a lot before the road trip, okay? You know that! I can do it!" "You can't! A few teachers called me too, they were saying you're not paying attention in class! I was worried Alex wasn't good for you anyway!" "Excuse me? Why sharing that opinion with me so early?" She shakes her head, I see she's disappointed in me but at this moment, I don't even care. "It's not fine that you're seeing him that much!" "I wasn't seeing him that much!", I shout. She gets up. "You've been seeing him a lot! And that's why you're failing in school!" "I'm not fuckin' failing!" "Don't swear!" "I swear whenever I want to!" "No, you don't! And you won't meet Alex again either!" "What the hell?!" "You'll stay away from Alex." "You can't make me." My voice shivers. She can't make me. I'll not stop seeing Alex. It's just not possible. "Oh, yes, I can! You're not supposed to see him that much, like I said. And that's why you're grounded!" "Grounded? What? Mum, you can't do that!" "Lower your voice or I'll do a lot of other things!" I calm down and breathe in deeply. She can't be serious. "Don't ground me, mum. Please...", I beg as the tears are now only running still because I'm desperate. "Just until the finals are over. That's only the rest of the week. Sweetie, you know I want you to graduate." "I know and I want that too." "Please. Just study only those days and when you pass the last finals you can concentrate on Alex." "Mum, I'll study! Really! But please don't ground me! I'm begging you!" "Sorry", she says and walks into the kitchen, leaving me standing in the door crying.