Chap. 25

Sarah Campbell

I first noticed something was off with Adam when he wouldn't stop fidgeting.

I was sitting in-between him and Joel as we watched the Thanksgiving football game, Ryan shouting obscenities toward the TV from the kitchen.

Adam's legs were constantly bouncing, his hands either twisting in his lap or running through his hair. He looked like he was stressing out about something.

Maybe my family overwhelmed him?

That wouldn't be the first time someone was uncomfortable in my house. When I first started bringing Aubrey around, she refused to leave my bedroom in fear that she'd run into one of my brothers.

Now Aubrey would happily parade into this room, insult Caden, and nestle up next to Joel.

I always thought she and Joel would become something more, but Joel never showed any interest in anyone really.

I felt Adam's leg press against mine as he changed his seating position yet again.

I glanced toward Terrence, but he was across the room, talking with Caden about something to do with the two football teams playing.

Football never interested me, and I couldn't give less of a shit about the game.

"What do you think, QB?" Caden called out.

Adam glanced up, his eyebrows furrowed together. "What?"

Caden gestured toward the TV. "About the Cowboys defense?"

"I think it's all bullshit," I said, before Adam had the chance to answer, "and that we should be watching A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving."

Caden began to boo toward me as Aiden threw a throw pillow in my direction.

"It's true!"

Joel stood up without looking up from his phone. "Hey, Ryan, did you change the wifi password?"

"Joel agrees with me," I said, sticking out my tongue toward Caden. "He just didn't want to say it out loud."

Adam abruptly stood up, turning and heading toward the kitchen.

"Get some of those sugared pecans and bring them out here!" Aiden called out toward him. He glanced toward me. "What's the QB's name?"

"He has to remember all of your names and you can't remember just one?" I asked, with a laugh.

That earned me another throw pillow to the face.

"Where did the QB go?" Caden asked. "Is he bringing sugared pecans or what?"

Terrence stood up. "I'll bring the sugared pecans. And locate Adam."

I couldn't help but notice the concern in Terrence's eyes, his tense shoulders and lips pressed into a tight line.

I followed Terrence into the kitchen, where Ryan and Lindsey were trying to determine if the turkey was ready for consumption.

"The internal temperature is right," Ryan said, reading the thermometer they'd stuck into the turkey. "But it just looks wrong."

"I think you're overthinking things," Lindsey said, with a laugh. "Sarah, what do you think?"

It looked like a turkey to me. "Looks great."

"Hey, peer mentor," Terrence said, nudging my shoulder. "He's out back. I'll be right there."

"Who said I came in here for Adam?"