Chap. 36

Adam Watson

Playing in a New Year's Six Bowl Game should be a dream come true. It was all any Quarterback could dream for, aside from the National Championship itself. But that was a dream for another year.

And I tried to remind myself of this as I paced my hotel room floor.

An honor. A privilege.

But all I could think about was the open bar downstairs.

Terrence hadn't made the starting line-up, and therefore hadn't hopped the team plane to come to the game. To say he was pissed was an understatement.

That meant I was here. Alone.

Not technically alone, my entire team was downstairs. But they didn't know that their all-star Quarterback was also a raging alcoholic behind closed doors.

So I texted my brother.

Tucking my phone away, I headed downstairs

"My mannn!" Rex shouted, as he threw an arm around my shoulders. "It's the QB!"

I tried to shrug out of his grasp, but pretty soon I was surrounded, and a shot was being shoved into my hands.

"A shot for our QB!" Rex shouted, before holding his up.

Fuck. It's Jack Daniels. Fuck.

"A shot for a Watson?" Michael's voice called out. He took the shot from me, downing it himself. "My pleasure."

A chorus of boos surrounded us. "Get the fuck out of here!" Rex called out. Which was one of the much more mild things being shouted around us.

Michael nodded toward the back door. "Fresh air?"

"Yeah."

"You can't fraternize with the enemy!" Vlad said, his eyebrows scrunching together. "Did you forget the last time we played this asshole?"

"I know," I said, with a slight laugh. "Trust me, I don't like him either." I swiped a bottle of water off the bar countertop. "Put this on someone's tab."

The chorus of boos followed me outside, as I met up with Michael.

"Thank you," I said. "I know you'll catch shit for this."

"Yeah, well, not as much as you. This is my last season. Headline tomorrow: Adam Watson Throws The Game After Verbal Beatdown by Older Brother."

"That's a long title," I said. "And no chance in hell."

The door opened, Coach Ludwig coming out. "What the hell is going on out here?"

"Just a friendly chat," I said. "Don't blame Michael, I asked him to come over."

"Well my phone is blowing up and your teammates are pissed," Coach said, lowering his eyes at me.