Chap. 17.5

Sarah Campbell

Adam's anxiety was rubbing off on me.

I could feel the tension radiating from his body as I stood next to him, and it was causing me to tense up as well.

This wasn't going to end well for either one of us.

"My party should already be here," Adam said to the hostess. "Watson, party of 5."

I'd never been out to dinner with such a small party number before.

The hostess led us to the back. I immediately recognized Adam's parents, and they both offered up smiles as we approached them.

The other male sitting across from them I could only assume to be Adam's brother, Michael.

I ended up sitting between Michael and Adam.

Michael turned to face me, raising an eyebrow. Unlike Adam, he had jet black hair and bright green eyes, giving him a much sharper look compared to Adam's boyish one.

"Michael," he said.

"Hello, I'm Sarah. Nice to meet you."

He glanced toward Adam, but Adam avoided his gaze.

"So you're Sarah," he muttered. "Great."

I wasn't sure how to take that. So I just smiled.

Smile through all awkward situations. That's how I've gotten this far in life.

"Were you at the game?" Adam's mother asked me.

I shook my head. "I usually attend all of the football stuff-"

Adam scoffed, and I elbowed him beneath the table, causing him to let out a slight groan.

"But I was dealing with a family thing."

I could feel Adam's gaze turn toward me, but I just continued my conversation with his mother.

She switched the topic from the game, probably because when one brother beats the other it's bound to be an awkward conversation.

I was curious as to who'd won though.

She began talking about the history behind Vanderbilt University and how her sister was an alumni.

The conversation was relaxed as we went about ordering drinks. Both of the Watson brothers went for water, as I went for Sweet Tea.

But I also hadn't just played a midday football game.

Adam's father began chatting with Adam about school, and his mother excused herself to go to the bathroom.

Leaving just Michael and me with an endless amount of silence between us.

I decided to be the one to break it.

"So you live in California then?" I asked.

I saw Adam's head turn toward us at the sound of my voice.

Michael rested his phone facedown on the table, angling himself toward me. "Yeah."

His conversational skills equaled that of his brother.

"How much different is it to that of Nashville?"

Michael cracked a smile, exposing his pearly white teeth. "So we're going to kick this off talking about the weather?"

I shrugged. "I haven't heard you offer up anything better."

His smile turned into one of shock, and I heard Adam laugh beneath his breath. But he was immediately sucked back into his conversation with his dad.