Chap. 20

Adam Watson

"Good morning, sunshine."

I threw my hand over my face, letting out a groan as Terrence shone a light at me.

"Get the fuck out of my face," I groaned.

"It's a new dawn, a new day," Terrence sang. "Time to get your lazy ass up out of bed."

I pulled my pillow over my face. "What is your deal?"

"I was up half the night doing some research, Adam Watson."

"Then why are you so damn chipper?"

He pulled the pillow off of my face, smiling down at me.

"I thought we were fighting," I said. "Leave me alone."

Terrence tore the covers off of me before climbing into my twin-sized bed.

"What the hell are you doing?" I demanded. "Get out."

"Aren't you curious as to what I was researching all night?" Terrence asked, as he snuggled up next to me.

"Not even remotely."

He ignored me. "I know some things were said between us, but I've decided that today starts a new day in the Terrence-Adam friendship era."

"Is that so?"

He nodded. "Today is the day that we both get ourselves back on track."

That piqued my interest. "Back on track for what?"

"We've been neglecting our daily workouts," he reminded me. "We've been eating processed sugars, drinking things we shouldn't, and letting our season go to waste because of it."

I knew where this was going. "You're going to sober me up?"

"Both of us, yep."

"Fuck off, Terrence," I muttered, rolling so my back was toward him.

"You want to be the little spoon?"

"I'm serious."

He cleared his throat. "Yeah, so am I." The playful tone was gone from his voice, replaced by a more sincere one. "You can't keep doing this, Adam."

"I've already had enough interventions this week, thanks."

"Well here's one that will stick."

I kept my back toward him. "How do you figure?"

"I just told you! I was up half the night researching."

I rolled over to face him. "Fine, Terrence. You have my attention. Researching what?"

"How to taper off of alcohol without dying from the withdrawal."

I chuckled at that. "It requires a Benzodiazepine, like Valium or Librium. I could've told you."

Terrence shook his head. "There's a way to self-taper."

"Yeah, with major withdrawals and cravings. And possible death. No thank you."

He pressed his lips together, and I could tell he was getting frustrated.

"I know what you're trying to do," I said, with a slight smile. "And I appreciate it. It's just not possible, not without a treatment facility, which I don't have the time for."

He shook his head. "Not without self-control and determination, both of which you're lacking."

My eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. "Excuse me?"