4: Ashes to Ashes (edited)

The highest peak of the Mountains of Impossible Height had been visible to the team for a long time. Their dragons flew at a steady pace, the layers of cloud obscuring the peak. As they neared Cole pulled his dragon up and the team followed. The monastery atop now became clear and they soared above the blackened ruin.

'Zane, are you picking anything up?' Cole shouted into the com's in his hood.

'One life form... alive. There's certainly no disturbance' Zane replied.

'Ok guy's' Cole talked to the team 'Lets make it a calm drop. As you know the structure is fragile, so take it easy; land one at a time. There's one body on the ground, it could be Wu. There's no indication of anything untoward, but... well, you never know...'

'Wilko'

'Ten four'

'Yup'

'Understood'

'Affirmative'

Cole continued 'Zane you drop in first, any un-foreseen's', just let us know'

'Affirmative' Zane replied again and broke formation. His dragon dived and banked, circling the monastery to assess the area. 'It's all clear Cole'

'Can you see Wu?' Cole asked.

'Yes. He is in a reclined position, but does not seem to be injured or in any pain'

'Ok that's good news... Area's clear and safe, guys. Descend' One by one the ninja rolled out of formation to land, each rider leaping clear of their dragon as it dispersed to give the next space.

Wu watched them land, pride welling in his chest. Zane approached immediately and sat cross-legged next to him 'Master, are you unwell? We came as soon as you sent your message'

'No Zane do not worry for me, I am not unwell. I do need to talk to you all though'

'Yes Master' Zane rose and beckoned the ninja over just as Nya was landing last. She jogged to catch up and Lloyd caught her eye, so she positioned herself away from him, feeling very confused at all that had happened earlier in the day.

The Ninja stood in front of their master, uncertain looks subtly passed between them.

'Students' Wu began 'I have summoned you here as I have experienced a vision... and I am dying'

Lloyd ran forward to him and as his friends tried to absorb Wu's statement, they were rendered speechless. Nya grabbed Kai's arm in shock and he turned to hold her. Lloyd knelt by Wu, his head bowed in sorrow.

'Come now Lloyd, its not as bad as it sounds' Wu looked into his nephews red eyes 'It's not as you think'

'What? How can dying not be what it is?' Said Lloyd, visibly distraught and confused.

'I am an 'Ancient' not born, but created and the last'

The team started to shift towards Wu, his typically cryptic words required an explanation.

'I can see I have confused you. I don't mean to. Please, sit with me' the team gathered around. Sitting as close to their master as they could, they waited for Wu to lift his weary head to talk.

'The first Spinjitsu master was the great creator, the creator of Ninjago, the Realm Crystal and the Elementals... He also created my brother and me...' Wu stopped and sighed, his role in the world seeming to weigh heavy on him 'He bestowed on us the ability to wield the power of all the Elementals and guard against abuse... Of course, he did not have the power of foresight and could never have known that Garmadon's heart would be turned black' a smile spread beneath his long moustache and he raised his sarcastic gaze to his students 'But for all our battles and all our power, we have a shelf life... Heh'