Chapter 52

I was suddenly torn away from my brother and dragged away from the scene by a soldier dressed in pure black.

"Newt!" I screamed, struggling against the person.

"We haven't got time. We need to go," The soldier, a male, told me.

I suddenly saw Newt running after me until he was by my side. "Come on."

I listened and rushed after him, the rest of the Gladers following us as we ran towards a helicopter that was waiting for us.

I fell to the back of the pack and turned, looking for Thomas. Where was he?

"Go girl!" A solider shouted at me from inside the building.

I suddenly saw 2 men dragging Thomas towards me and towards the chopper.

Someone in black pulled at my shirt and pushed me forwards. "Go!"

I carried my legs the rest of the way and was pushed in before the door was shut behind me and we were lifted off the ground.

I pulled myself up from the floor and scooted forward towards my brother, crawling into his arms.

I gripped his shirt and lowered myself onto his lap.

"Are you alright?" He asked me.

I nodded, trying to sort through everything that has happened. It was all getting away from me quicker than I could hold onto it.

One of my close friends had just been murdered right in front of me and I couldn't stop it.

"Are you all alright?" One of the soldiers asked, taking off his helmet.

I turned to face him, getting comfortable in my brothers lap.

"Don't worry, you're safe now," He reassured us as the chopper came up and over the building.

We all turned to see what we had been trapped in for the last 3 years. From the air, the Glade looked much more like a prison and made us all look very small.

I slumped against my brother's chest as tears came to my eyes. He wrapped his arms around my frame and held me close as these people took us away from our 'home.'

How could someone think to do this to a bunch of kids?

We never asked for any of this.

"Relax kids," The solider told us.

Everything's going to change.

Edited: 4/2/2018

Word Count: 372