Chapter 3

A gentle tapping to my shoulder suddenly jolted me awake. I shot up from the lying position I was in and looked around to discover I was still in Newt's bedroom.

"Whoa, easy. You feelin' alright?" A hand was laid on my shoulder.

I looked up and saw Newt looking down at me, a worried look evident on his face.

"Breathe," He told me.

I then noticed I was gasping for air.

What was that? It couldn't have been a dream. It was too vivid. A memory maybe, but that couldn't be possible. Newt said nobody has remembered  anything since they came up in the box.

If it wasn't a dream then what was it?

"What happened?" He asked, crouching down to my level.

Should I tell him? But if he said no one remembers anything he'll probably think I'm lying.

"Nothing I'm fine," I shook my head.

"Well, Alby and the rest of the Glade are getting ready to light the bonfire," He changed the subject suddenly.

I nodded before pulling myself up and looked over at Newt.

"Ready to go?" He questioned after I straightened my clothes.

I nodded before starting to follow Newt out of his room and down the long hallway. Everything looked different now the sun had gone down.

The hallways were harder to see and the place had become much colder. It was freezing, but bearable at the same time.

I folded my arms against my chest as we continued to walk, Newt didn't seem to be affected by the cold though. He just continued on as if nothing had changed. I guess after being here for so long you get used to everything around you.

But how long has Newt been here to get used to this? I'll be sure to ask him later.

We came out of the hut and into the Glade where I could hear a load of shouting and laughing over in the distance. I couldn't see the boys because of all the darkness surrounding the two of us, but I could make out a few figures here and there.

"Come on, they're waitin' on us," Newt suddenly announced before picking up his pace.

I was quick on his heels, not wanting to be left behind in the dark. Don't get me wrong, I'm not scared of the dark, but I'd rather not get lost in the dark, by myself, in a place I know nothing about.

We walked the rest of the way in silence until we came to the herd of boys waiting for us. Everyone seemed to be doing different things weather it was talking, laughing or huddling around a set of drums.

"What is the purpose of all this anyways?" I questioned, looking around.

"We do this every time a new Greenie comes up. Think of it as a welcomin' party," Newt explained.

"Newt!" A new voice called out.

We both turned to see the dark-skinned boy from earlier making his way over to us.

"Elizabeth, this is Alby. He's in charge around here," Newt explained.

"Nice to finally meet you properly Elizabeth," Alby held his hand out.

I hesitated, looking over at Newt who gave me a reassuring nod. I then smiled lightly and shook Alby's hand.

"We should get started then," Alby let go of my hand and gestured for the two of us to follow him.

I trailed behind Newt, sticking to his side.

We came to a group of boys all holding long sticks. What is going on?