Chapter 8

Elizabeth and Calise ran through the streets of their home town, snow crunching beneath their feet. They ran in the direction of their houses, the place where they lived.

"Does Isaac know you're out here?" Calise questioned her friend.

"Of course not. He can't push me around and tell me what to do. He's my brother not my dad," Elizabeth answered.

"He's the only person who's there for you though," Calise reminded her.

"No he isn't. What about my dad?" She crossed her arms.

Calise raised her eyebrows. "Has he really been there for you as much as Isaac has?"

Elizabeth stopped to think for a minute. Had her father really watched over her as much as Isaac? Isaac had always been the one to look after her when her parents couldn't. It was clear that he cared about her very deeply.

"Liz," A hand was waved in front of her face.

"What?" Elizabeth turned towards her friend.

"You haven't answered my question."

"Okay, so maybe my dad hasn't been there for me as much as I hoped he would. I still have my mother though and she's making an effort," She explained.

"I just wish you could see how much Isaac really cares about you," Calise shrugged.

Elizabeth started walking again. "I know he cares, but sometimes I think he worries a little too much."

"Liz, you're only 12. At the end of the day we are still only kids. We need people to watch over us," Calsie told her.

Elizabeth sighed. "Isaac is only 14. He's not an adult. He's a teenager. Why can't he act like one?"

"Because that's not who he is. He feels like he has to keep an eye on you. Just like I watch Serena," Her friend explained.

"That's different," The blonde girl argued.

"How?"

"Because...because it is. She is only 6. You need to watch over her," Elizabeth answered quickly.

"Just like Isaac needs to look after you. You don't understand what it's like to be the older sibling and always have to worry about your younger brother or sister," Calise told her.

She was right. Elizabeth didn't know what it was like to worry or look out for a younger brother or sister. She was the youngest. She would never know what that would be like.

"Come on, we should start heading back," Calise told her.

Elizabeth nodded and followed without another word.

Her brother was there to watch over her and she had to accept that. He loved her and was always trying to protect her.

I snapped my eyes open and looked around to see I was no longer walked in the snow, but rather still in the Med-Jack room, lying down.

I then noticed I was alone. Newt had left the room.

Thank God because I couldn't take this anymore. I just wanted this to end. I wanted answers and I wanted to get the hell out of this place.

I then remembered the Maze.

If that was the way out then maybe I could get answers in there as well.

I couldn't think of what else to do, but hop out of my bed and bolt for the door.

I rushed out of the Homestead and saw it was the end of the day. The doors would be closing at any minute. I wasn't going to be stuck here another night, I couldn't

I picked up my pace and ran faster and harder towards the doors that sealed everything shut every night.

Voices started to speak up as I got closer to the two stone structures.

"Is that the Greenie?"

"Where is she going?"

"She's headed for the Maze!"

"Some on get Newt!"

Oh no, Newt could easily catch me. I wasn't exactly the fastest runner.

By the time I had almost reached the doors, they had begun to close.

No!

I pushed myself even harder towards them. I had to get out.

"Lizzy, don't you bloody dare!" I heard Newt yell.

"I have to!" Was the last thing I screamed before I managed to squeeze through the remaining gap in the door.

I heard the doors slam shut behind me as I dropped to the floor.

I knew there was no turning back now. I had to get answers to everything that's happened to me over the last few days.

'Why didn't you listen?'

Not now. I can't deal her her at the moment.

'Leave me alone,' I tried to push the voice away.

'You need to run,' She told me.

I was tired of running. I wanted answers, I didn't care anymore.

I looked around and saw the evening light of the sun starting to disappear as night fell upon the massive place around me.

'RUN!' The voice screamed at me.

Without thinking, I started moving away from the doors leading to the Glade and began running through the giant Maze.

Little did I know my night was just beginning.

Word Count: 826

22/9/2016