Chapter 45

=Elizabeth=

"What the hell's goin' on out there?" Newt asked as Thomas Minho came running back into the Glade.

I stuck to my brother's side as we followed the 2 Runners through the Glade.

"What the hell have you done now Thomas?" Gally spat.

I just rolled my eyes. He was such a child.

"We found something, a passage. We think it could be a way out," Thomas explained.

"Really?" Newt asked.

"It's true," Minho panted.

"We opened a door. Something I've never seen before," The keeper explained.

"I think it must be where the Grievers go during the day," He finished.

"Wait! Whoa, whoa, whoa," Chuck suddenly pushed through everyone.

"You're saying you found the Grievers home? And you want us to go in?" He asked, walking next to my brother and Thomas.

Thomas looked at him. "Their way in could be our way out Chuck."

"Yeah, or there could be a dozen Grievers on the other side," Gally argued back.

"The truth is, Thomas doesn't know what he's done. As usual," Gally continued.

Thomas suddenly swung around to face him. "Yeah, at least I did something, Gally. I mean, what have you done? Aside from hide behind these walls all the time?"

"Let me tell you something, Greenie. You've been here 3 days, I've been here 3 years!" Gally snarled.

"Yeah, you've been here 3 years and you're still here Gally. What does that tell you? Maybe you should start doing things a little differently," Thomas stood up to him.

"Guys," A new voice came into the argument, but no one was listening.

I turned around to see Teresa standing there.

I faced the boys again and saw they were too busy fighting to know she was there.

"Maybe you should be in charge, what about that?" Gally taunted.

I rolled my eyes again. "Hey, SHUT IT!"

Everyone's heads spun towards me and the place went silent.

"If you would all stop acting like children for 2 minutes and listen. Teresa has something she would like to say," I told them, frowning.

"It's Alby. he's awake," She announced.

My eyes widened as Newt, Thomas, Minho, Frypan and Gally rushed passed me, heading for the Homestead.

I quickly followed being them, wanting to know if the leader of the Glade was okay.

"Has he said anything?" Newt asked as we all walked in.

Teresa shook her head. "No."

I looked over at the bed and saw Alby sitting on the edge of the bed, staring at the ground.

"Alby," My brother sat beside him on the bed.

"Alby, are you alright?" Newt asked him.

The boy didn't move though.

I moved aside so Thomas could get passed me and stood next to my brother.

Thomas knelt down in front of him. "Alby, we might have just found a way out of the Maze."

He didn't move. He didn't even look at him.

"Do you hear me? We could be getting out of here," Thomas explained.

"We can't," The leader suddenly choked out.

"We can't leave. They won't let us," He whimpered.

"What are you talking about?" Thomas asked.

I saw a tear escape Alby's eye. "I remember."

I held my breath and place a hand on my brother's shoulder. He looked up at me and place his own hand over mine.

"What do you remember?" Thomas questioned.

Alby finally turned his head towards Thomas. "You."

An awful silence filled the room as everyone looked at Thomas, including me.

"You were always their favorite, Thomas," Alby explained.

I glanced back down at my brother and saw he had the same look in his eyes as everyone else.

"Why did you do this? Why did you come here?" He started crying.

Before Thomas could answer could a bunch of yelling and panicked screaming came from outside getting our attention.

I took a step back as my brother stood up from his place on the bed next to Alby and went to find out what all the fuss was about.

I turned back to Thomas and gestured with my eyes, telling him to follow Newt.

He nodded before getting to his feet and chasing after my brother.

I quickly trailed behind, leaving Alby with the Med-Jacks.

What was going on out there?

Edited: 19/6/2017

Word Count: 704