Chapter 29

=Elizabeth=

I was awoken the next morning to someone shaking my shoulder.

I fluttered my eyes open and looked up to see my brother standing over me.

"Hey, come on. We need to see the Runner's off," He told me.

I nodded before rolling out bed and grabbing my boots from beside the bed. I don't remember taking them off last night, but whatever.

I slipped them on and started following Newt out of the room where we made our way over to the Doors.

"What's going on?" I asked when I saw Alby standing next to Minho with Runner clothes on.

"Minho and Alby are going to try and find out where Ben went yesterday that caused him to get stung," Newt explained.

"What!" I widened my eyes.

"You're going to the place that is the reason Ben is dead. Are you insane!?" I screeched.

Everyone stood there just looking at me, not knowing what to say. I guess they weren't expecting me to have an outburst.

"Elizabeth, it's fine. We'll be back before the Door's close," Alby told me just as a rumble ripped through the Glade.

I took a step back as the stone walls of the Maze came apart, revealing the giant Maze that had trapped us here.

"Newt, you're in charge until I get back," Alby turned to my brother.

"Good that, you be careful out there," Newt said to the pair of them as he pulled me closer to him.

The 2 teens nodded before spinning on their heels and running into the Maze.

Newt and I watched until the pair of them rounded the corner and disappeared into the Maze.

"Come on, we should start getting to work," Newt started leading me away from the Doors.

I turned to face the Maze one more time before trailing behind my brother.

*~*~*~*

"But why would Alby go into the Maze? He's not a Runner," Thomas asked from the log he was sat on.

"Things are different now. Alby went to retrace Ben's footsteps before sundown. Look, are you gonna help?" He asked, starting to get annoyed.

"Newt!" I snapped, warning him.

I wasn't going to go through this again with him. Thomas just wanted to be in the know like the rest of us.

"So he's gonna go back to where Ben was just stung?" Thomas questioned, playing with his knife.

Newt stopped slicing the trunk of the fallen down tree and looked at Thomas. "Alby knows what's he's doing, Alright? He knows better than any of us."

"What does that even mean?" The Greenie asked.

"Okay, it's like you've heard, yeah? Every month the Box sends up a new arrival. But, someone had to be first. Someone had to spend an entire month the Glade alone. And that was Alby," Newt explained.

He then went back to trying to pry the tree from the ground. "I mean, it can't have been easy. But when the other boys started coming up one after the other. He saw the truth and he learned that the most important thing is that we all have each other. Because we're all in this together."

Thomas looked over at me for a second before hopping off the log and starting to help Newt over by the tree.

"Yeah, there you go Greenie," My brother smiled.