Chapter 9

Hi guys, I am so sorry this chapter is late. I have come down with a really bad cold right before Christmas, typical and just couldn't get out of bed last night to update.

Anyway I hope you are enjoying the story so far. I had a lot of fun writing these next few chapters.

Enjoy, Paige xx

=Newt=

What was she thinking? She doesn't know the first thing about running the Maze. Let alone surviving a night in it.

I stared at the doors, not knowing what to do. I let her out of my sight for 2 minutes and she slipped right through my fingers.

I had really come to like Elizabeth. Not in a romantic way, but more as if she had become my sister. Even though I have only known her 5 days. I feel like I have known her for years.

And now she's gone.

Taken by the Maze. Part of me wanted to believe that she could make it, but no one has ever survived a night in the Maze.

I felt a hand get placed on my shoulder as I continued to look at the stone door in front of me.

"We'll send Runners out in the morning to try and find her body," I heard Alby's voice from behind me.

I nodded, my voice getting trapped in my throat.

"Alright boys, everyone get back to the Kitchen. There's nothing we can do for her right now," Alby commanded.

I sighed to myself before following behind everyone else, back to the Kitchen, not that I could eat anything.

I walked along side Minho who had a similar look in his face. I knew he had grown quite fond of Elizabeth too. I just hope he can handle the fact that she isn't coming back.

*¬*¬*¬*¬*

Let's just say dinner tonight was close to unbearable. No one said anything. My guess was either they didn't know what to say or were just trying to not talk about the the subject.

I looked down at my untouched plate of food in front of me. I hadn't been feeling hungry since I saw Elizabeth run through the doors.

I want to know what caused her to act the way that she did. It was clear that she knew the Maze was a dangerous place when I told her about it at the bonfire, so why would she run inside despite what I said?

If she somehow does make it out alive, I will be sure to ask her. I knew she wasn't an idiot she ran in for a reason.

"What was she thinking?" Minho suddenly asked from beside me.

"I don't know," I sighed.

Minho looked over at me. "Does she know what's really out there?"

I shook my head. "I never told her."

She really didn't stand a chance out there. It was really starting to sink in now.

I stood up from my place at the table and looked at everyone sitting with me.

"I think I'm going to head up for the night," I announced.

I made my way away from the table and towards my room in the Homestead until someone started calling out to me.

"Newt!"

Minho suddenly appeared in front of me. His face showing a slight hint of hope.

"Don't give up just yet. We will find her," He told me.

"I wouldn't go giving people false hope Minho. She's gone. There nothing we can do for her now," I pushed him away.

There was no use in hoping for something that wasn't possible. It only hurts more when you find out the truth.

I headed up to my room and flopped down on my bed. Everything had changed since Elizabeth came up in that box. Things just seemed so out of place and now everything would probably go back to the way they were before she came up.

It shouldn't have to be that way. No one should have to die just for things to go back to the way they were before.

I shut my eyes and fell into a not so peaceful slumber.

Word Count: 628

Edited: 22/9/2016

The Maze Within {Book 1}जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें