Chapter 19

Ivys POV

Have you ever felt fear just run through your body? All your muscles freeze and you can't seem to move?

Pure terror went through me.

As I looked at Cain, I could see him look intently at me then over to Ms. Smoger who sat behind me. The muscles of his jaw twitched as the host exhaled sharply, "I asked you a question."

Ms. Smoger's obnoxious laugh filled the restaurant, almost like she was threatening us.

I could see the wheels turn in Cain's head as he studied me, my face heated under his gaze and I silently cursed myself for the wrong timing.

I had fought the urge to look back when I heard her laugh again, she was laughing at us. "Ivy, can you run?" Cain whispered when the aggravated host left. My nails dug into the wooden table, "I need to talk off my heels," Cain nodded and I reached down under the table and undid the little buckle with shaky hands. I kicked off the heels, knowing that I wont be needing them.

"On my count, we run out of this building and to the car." My body shook. He grabbed my hand the was clenching the table and gave it a tight squeeze before saying, "Three." And he pulled me up quickly and dragged me out of the building.

Screams filled the silent air.

I took long strides, trying my best to catch up with Cain. I knew that people were chasing us but we were too far ahead to get caught.

Once we reached the car, Cain pushed me towards it and I fumbled around with the handle. My breathing was frantic and my vision went blurry with frustration.

The door opened from the inside and Cain pulled me in, not waiting for me to close the door before the car started to move. I grabbed a hold on the door and I slammed it closed, my breaths coming out in pants.

I turned in my seat and I looked out the back window. I saw Ms. Smoger, she stood in the middle of the road, her hands held high in the air.

"Get your seatbelt on," Cain grumbled and I slowly sat back down, clicking the seatbelt.

"Where are we going?" I asked when I didn't recognize the area.

"We're going out of the state." I looked over at him quickly, hoping that he was joking, "What about Caleb?! He needs me!" Cain winced and he looked over at me, his eyes filled with sadness.

"I'm sorry," He whispered and his voice cracked. I shook my head and I looked out the window. Caleb needs me.

"You can't do this," I whispered as tears streamed down my cheeks. He clenched the steering wheel tighter, "When it comes to your safety, I can."

And I knew then, that he wasn't telling me something. The protectiveness in his voice scared me, but had almost comforted me.

*

I opened my eyes and the whole world shook. I grabbed the edges of my seat and I sat up quickly, realizing I was resting my head against the window.

"Are you hungry?" A hoarse voice asked and I turned my head, blinking to clear up my vision.

Cain sat there, his hair sticking out at every angle,light circles under his eyes, and faint stubble across his cheeks and chin. I nodded slowly and he made a turn off the highway.

"I'll go one more state over before staying at a motel." He said as he pulled into the Denny's parking lot.

"I have no shoes."

He sighed and grumbled, "Im sure they won't mind." I got out of the car carefully and walked to the front entrance.

The smell of bacon washed over us as we opened the door and almost immediately, my stomach growled. Cain looked down at me and playfully rolled his eyes, I shook my head and followed the waitress.

After we sat down and ordered our drinks, I stared out the window, ignoring Cains attempts to talk to me. I needed Caleb, as much as he needed me.

"I'm sorry," Cain whispered across the table and I shook my head, "I don't want to hear it."

"I had no choice," He tried again and I looked at him fully, "And why is that?" He hesitated and looked down at his hands.

"I thought so," I mumbled and I focused my gaze to the people that surrounded us.

We were both silent as we waited for our food, and my stomach seemed to get louder and louder. Cains eyes would flicker over to me each time and a soft smile was spread across his face.

When the waitress came with our food, I was eager to just dig in. The plate was filled with pancakes, eggs and bacon. Cains plate seemed to be twice as big as mine.

We ate our food silently, enjoying the taste in our mouths. I'd moan with every bite and Cains smile would just get bigger.

"Are you done?" Cain asked once he finished with his food and I nodded slowly. He threw a 20 dollar bill on the table and he motioned for me to get up. I followed him out to the car and soon after, we were on the road again.

--------------------------

I know this is really short but I wanted to update since I haven't in such a long time. it took me a long time to come up with something for this chapter so I hope y'all like it..

Can everyone go follow me on Instagram? :D Brielle_Wiersma

Tell me what you want for the next chapter and I'll try me best to update!

Love yall!

Stay beautiful/Handsome!