Chapter 38- Moody's Lesson.

As the compartment filled up with our friends the World Cup had become the topic for discussion.  "We saw him right up close, as well, " Ron says, "We were in the Top Box--"

"For the first and last time in your life, Weasley. " Draco Malfoy sneers with Crabbe and Goyle. 

 "Don't remember asking you to join us, Malfoy, " says Harry coolly.

 "Weasley... What is that?" Draco says, pointing at Pigwidgeon's cage. A sleeve of Ron's dress robes was dangling from it. Ron rushed to grab it but Draco got it first. "Look at this! Weasley, you weren't thinking of wearing these, were you? I mean--they were very fashionable in about eighteen ninety..."

"Eat dung, Malfoy!" Ron yells. I roll my eyes at the boys. I had learned to give up trying to stop the fighting on either side. Nothing would stop them from their chest thumping. "So... Going to enter, Weasley? Going to try and bring a bit of glory to the family name? There's money involved as well, you know... You'd be able to afford some decent robes if you won... "

"Hey! No!" I exclaim, "stop it."

"What are you talking about?" snaps Ron. 

"Are you going to enter?" Draco repeats, "I suppose you will, Potter? You never miss a chance to show off, do you?"

"Either explain what you're on about or go away, Malfoy, " says Hermione testily, over the top of The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 4. 

"Don't tell me you don't know?" he says delightedly. "You've got a father and brother at the Ministry and you don't even know? My God, my father told me about it ages ago... Heard it from Cornelius Fudge. But then, Father's always associated with the top people at the Ministry... Maybe your father's too junior to know about it, Weasley... Yes... They probably don't talk about important stuff in front of him... " They leave Ron goes to the door. Slamming it so hard the glass shatters.  

"Ron!" Hermione says reproachfully, and she pulled out her wand, mutters "Reparo!" and the glass shards flew back into a single pane and back into the door. 

"Well... Making it look like he knows everything and we don't... " Ron snarls. "Father's always associated with the top people at the Ministry. '... Dad could've got a promotion any time... He just likes it where he is..."

"Of course he does, " Hermione says quietly. "Don't let Malfoy get to you, Ron--"

"Him! Get to me!? As if!" says Ron, as he picks up one of the remaining Cauldron Cakes and squashing it into a pulp. I hand Ron a chocolate frog box and he takes it. Chomping down on the chocolate as he fumes.

"I like your dress robes," I offer, "very Retro. Very chic."

"They're nice," Hermione says, "they mean more."

"Whatever," He huffs.

*****

    "Hi, Hagrid!" Harry yells as we get off the train. I look to see the large figure of Hagrid. I wave quickly with a smile.

"All righ', Harry?" Hagrid bellows back, waving. "See yeh at the feast if we don' drown!" I watch as the first years collect around Hagrid. They traditionally got to go across the lake first year. While now we go on the carriages. 

"Oooh, I wouldn't fancy crossing the lake in this weather, " Hermione says fervently, shivering as they inched slowly along the dark platform with the rest of the crowd. 

  "Poor first years," I say, "lets hop they can swim." As we reach a carriage we quickly get inside with Neville joining us.  The carriages speeding as the harsh raindrops burst around us. Once we reach the castle we jump out hurrying to shelter.