74

David Hertz

I leaned on the bathroom door and watched Alison as she stared blankly at the wall, she was acting very strange. I tried finding out what was bothering her, but she kept avoiding it.

"Alison!" She was startled when she heard my voice, "Babe, you okay?" She turned and nodded at me nervously, hiding her hands behind her back.

"I'm fine...do you need anything?"

"Tell me what's wrong babe." I approached her.

She feigned sickness, "I think I'm coming up with something, I've been feeling nauseous and throwing up, maybe—"

"You're not." I cut in.

"I could be." Again, she tried to throw off the subject.

"You're not."

"Again, I could be." Whatever it was upsetting her, must be profound to have her throwing me off with such a theory. "Is that not something you want? I mean kids. Do you want kids?"

"Yeah, eventually."

"Eventually, you mean in two, four years. I can wait a year after we marry, and after that, I want babies, lots of babies." She said and giggled afterward.

I regarded her blankly with caution to the wind. Picking her up, I moved towards the sofa, sitting down and cradling her in my lap, "Now are you going to tell me what or who's bothering you?"

She was going to say something, when my phone began to ring, causing her to shut down completely.

I answered it,

"Bate?" I muttered into the phone without taking my eyes off her, I removed a strand of hair from her face and she smiled warmly, "Alright, I will meet you in the cottage." I nodded and hung up.

"Cottage?" She questioned.

"Don't worry about it. Tell me what or who's made you sad?"

She shook her head, "We can talk when you get back," She summoned up a smile, and I felt a pang in my heart when our eyes met. Why did she look so unhappy?

I ran my thumb over her soft cheeks, she held onto my hand and leaned into my touch before she closed her eyes.

"Hurry back," she whispered as her eyes flickered open.

"Should I call you a doctor?"

She shook her head again and smiled, "I'm fine, you don't have to worry."

I was desperate to know what was bothering her, but I decided not to push it any further, if it was important she would have told me about it.

"Be careful," she whispered.

I leaned in to kiss her forehead, wishing I could stay. But the thing with Bate at the cottage was important.

 But the thing with Bate at the cottage was important