90

James👆🏼

Alison

I can't say how long I walked along those familiar paths, but it felt like forever. Feeling breathless, I stopped and bent to my knees to catch some breath, a couple of tears clouded my eyes as I thought about my mother, the woman I thought was dead for all these years and turned out to be a huge liar.

I was aware, I was acting like some spoilt brat, but it just hurt so much.

Wiping my tears with the back of my hand, I decided I wasn't going to cry, I got up and continued my endless walk.

I looked ahead and spotted a coffee shop on the other side of the road, I walked towards it.

I made it to the door and stepped in.

I moved past the counter and took a seat on one of the benches upfront, turning my eyes warily at the place.

They weren't a lot of customers just two teenagers who were dishing about school and a man who seemed lost in his thoughts.

I turned to the front and a lady was standing there smiling at me, "Hello! What can I help you with?" She asked politely.

"Can I get a milk latte, please?" I asked.

"You don't come from around here?" She asked, noting what I guessed was my order on a notepad.

I just threw her a soft smile, 

She rolled her eyes, "Anyway, that's three dollars."

"Um, okay," I said before scooping through my pocket, damn it! I forgot to grab my purse.

Crap!

"I don't have all day, miss," She was irritated with the delay.

"I don't have any money." I whispered my cheeks flushed with embarrassment, "I thought I had some change in my purse and--"

"No cash no milk latte, miss--" She cut in.

"Um—"

"I got it." A voice said from behind me.

My eyes widened, but I didn't look up, because I was too ashamed, who walks into a coffee shop and can't pay for a cheap latte.

The day couldn't get any worse.

"Fine..." The waitress said and walked away, leaving me alone with the stranger.

"Thank you?" Those were the first words that came out of my mouth, still very embarrassed.

I was still not able to look up and a little part of me just hoped whoever it was would just walk away and leave me to my misery.

"You must be new around here?"

That question again.

Deciding hiding wasn't getting me anywhere, I looked up to him,

"Thanks for the coffee Mr-"

"James." He supplied.

"James, "I repeated.

"And you must be--"

"Alison." I let out sharply.

"Alison, That's a lovely name."

"Thanks." I smiled politely and settled down.

"Alison, do you mind if I join you?" He asked pointing at the empty seat opposite me.