30

Alison

I looked down at the big fat F on my chemistry paper in shock, I fucking failed.

I wasn't the brightest student but an F, was a first.

I noticed Dylan approaching and I quickly stashed it away, I didn't want anyone to see it, it was humiliating, When my teacher first handed it to me, I was so happy because I knew I had studied hard for it and when I caught sight of the paper, I had to stop myself from screaming.

I had studied a lot since I started seeing David, I took all my classes seriously because I knew he would dump me if he thought our affair was getting ahead of my studies, he was very headstrong about that.

I thought I'd give him a reason not to worry about my future, How was I going to explain this? What if he already knew?

"Hey, Pops." Dylan reached over and sat beside me at the bleachers, "what's up?"

"Not good." I sighed in frustration, and then showed him.

"Woa..." He seemed speechless.

"Exactly. I have never gotten below a B- Minus in my entire life." I quickly tucked it away, "It's true, I'm getting dumber."

He laughed and stopped himself when he caught my glare.

"I'm sorry, this is serious." He cleared his throat to hide his humor, "It's not that bad."

"You're one to talk you've never failed anything in your life."

"Well,you're wrong, I've failed a lot of times, last year I failed my driver's test, because I failed a stupid drug test, this week a failed a philosophy test. So believe me, it's not the end of the world, you're going to be fine." I bet David won't see it that way when he dumps me, I thought, "It's Mr. Speelman, right? You can always ask for a makeup test, he's really understanding."

"I know." I really studied hard for this, How was I going to Ace it? "Can you tutor me?"

"Of course, anytime you want."

"Great, we can stop by the library every day after school."

"In return..." He stalled.

I sighed, of course, he'd want something in return.

"What do you want?"

"Have dinner with me?" He said. The last time we had this conversation, it didn't end well.

"Dylan...I-I."

"As friends." He quickly added, "Actually, I found my mom's sister, her name is Anne."

"Dylan that's amazing." i beamed at him.

"Yeah, it is, she invited me over for dinner this weekend and I don't want to go alone, would you come with me?"

"Yeah, of course."

He pulled me into a hug, I laughed as I hugged him back. I was glad Dylan found his family, he deserved all the happiness in the world, considering what he had been through.

"First, you have help me pick out a gift, I don't want to go there empty hand."

"Yeah, we can do that after school."

"Or we could go right now?" He got up and pulled me up with him.

"Dylan, we have third period." I reminded him, I didn't want to take any more chances.

"When has that ever stopped us? We've done this so many times I've lost count." He reminded me.

"Didn't you hear, I got an F, if that's not a sign, I don't know what is..."

"I deserve to spend some time with you, without those minions of yours hovering around....So please." Dylan had a way of compelling me, I couldn't refuse him, even I knew I would get in a lot of trouble for it.

Sometimes in life, you find yourself in a situation that makes you wonder how you got here in the first place.