Chapter 18

Alison

I glanced at the time worriedly, "Henna, how long has Mr. Hertz been in his study? I-I haven't seen him since morning." I asked as we started dinner together.

"He has a guest over, I think it's Carmen." She answered without caution. Wait, who the hell is Carmen?

"Hopefully, he likes what we make tonight, that man can be very picky on the weekends--" Henna chimed in,

I threw her a weary smile and finished cutting the onions that had me in tears,

"I'll be right back." I cleaned up and excused myself.

I had to check on him, plus I was curious.

As I approached his study, I couldn't hear anything.

I reached for the door and opened it, I saw him with some brunette, they were just working but still....

They both turned at the same time to notice me,

I cleared my throat awkwardly,

"I'm sorry, I-I didn't mean to-"

"You must be, Alison." Carmen cut in,

I stepped in and managed a smile,

"Yes, I am and you are?"

"Carmen Rodriguez, it's pity we are just meeting because I've heard so much about you. I manage your trust fund, we were just talking about setting a meeting with you... And, I must say you have very gorgeous eyes."

"Thank you." I read a motive in that statement.

"David, do bring her to the company dinner this year.. You can't hide this gem forever. Alison, don't listen to your overprotective guardian and do attend. I look forward to seeing you."

I nodded in acknowledgment, she was so beautiful, I had no words.

"Alright, I'll take my leave now. Bye David, call me." She waved at him and called him by his name more than once. How close were they really? I thought.

I watched after her as she exited the room before turning to look at him, he already had his eyes fixated on me.

"She's pretty," I muttered.

He was giving me this look like he knew what I was thinking,

"She works for you." He clarified immediately,

"Apparently." I walked closer observing him, "I always thought Bate was my father's trustee."

"Your father opened a charitable trust in your name, Carmen manages just that." He explained.

"Why does she get to call you by your first name?"

"We went to college together, and so did your father. You don't have to worry about her." He kept his eyes on me as he spoke, and I noticed how bloodshot and puffy they were, he looked really depleted.

My heart sank and immediately forgot about Carmen.  "Can I get you something to eat or drink? You look exhausted." I asked and got closer.

"No, I'm fine." He forced a smile.

I frowned.

"You don't look fine. You're working yourself too hard again and it's glaring on your body."

He slowly lifted his head and stared up at me.

"Come with me." I took his hand and got him to follow me to the only sofa in the room. I sat and asked him to rest his head on my lap, "I don't know what we are right now, but I'm going to devote my time to taking care of you because no one else would."

He was adamant but I insisted and he gave in.

He laid and rested his head on my lap,

"Close your eyes and relax," I whispered as I brought my hands up to bury them in his hair. The action was almost an attempt to bring him some ease. 

He didn't object as I slowly worked in my magic on his scalp. He was so tense, I could feel it in my fingers.

We both don't speak for a while, it was a peaceful and serene silence, the only noises being the motion of my hands and his soft breathing. 

After a while, I called him in a soft whisper.

"Mr. Hertz?"

He hummed in response and blinked his lids open to me,

"Can I be your plus one to the company dinner? I have always known you had one every year in honor of my father and I'd really like to be part of it."

He tilted his face up so he could look up at me properly,

"Alison, you don't have to come if you don't want to."

"I've always wanted to... I want to hear what my father was like from other people. .. I'll be good I promise."

"Alright." He said with a sigh and shut his eyes again for me to carry on with my magic, he really liked it.

"Also, can I start calling you David or is it just meant for.. Dear ms. Carmen?" I slurred her name, having him laughing. I had never seen him laugh and I liked it, I liked seeing him happy and I enjoyed very much knowing that I only made him smile.

Thanks for reading guys. Please do leave your comments that way I know you guys are reading, the update is slow because I assume no one is reading and I get discouraged to continue writing. Tx