Chapter Forty-One

Start from the beginning

"Hey you!"  her roommate called out, still half asleep. "So did you have a roaring good time last night?"

From the bathroom, half-naked, Crissa poked her head out.

"We played a few games of chess and watched a really cool documentary . . . about Canadian ducks, as I remember," she said, beginning to laugh before she could finish the sentence.

"Such a little liar!"  Trisha shouted back, laughing herself.

After less than ten minutes, Trisha herself was now out of bed and dressed. She watched as her good-spirited roommate bolted out of the bathroom, grabbed her new UBC book bag, and headed for the door.

"I'll see you . . . whenever," Crissa said in a rush.

"Laterz, sweetie!"

* * *

Following a full morning of three separate classes—an hour-and-a-half each, Crissa hopped on a campus bus and headed across the island into the city of Victoria. She passed over the freeway bridge to the greater city proper of Vancouver on the mainland and there haled a taxi. She would then ride out to the suburbs and the fringe rows of homes that butted up against the open eastern territory of British Columbia. The fir and pine tree-covered mountains loomed in the distance. For it was out there, in the wilderness, that her parents' vacation cabin sat—unattended and vacant.

"Hey, mom!" Crissa said, smiling as her mother opened the door.

"Why, Crissa!"  What a surprise. We didn't think we'd see you . . . quite this  soon."

"Yeah, I know, Mom. Everything's fine. I just didn't pack a few things I realize now I need . . ."

"But Honey, I thought you . . ."

"I know. But I was way off. About what the students are wearing over there. Much more casual it turns out. I also need some different shoes. For working out."

"Really?"

"Yeah, Mom. It's about Trish."

"Trish?"

"My roommate, Mom?  She wants to take some aerobics classes with me. I told her I would . . . so . . ."

"Oh. OK, Darling. Well, your father would love to see you while you're . . ."

"Come on, Mom. I just moved out.  I'll see him soon enough. Besides . . . I've got to get back."

"So . . . you're not going to stay for . . ."

"No way, Mom. I have homework already. I'm just here to get some stuff and leave. I'll be eating at the dorm commons tonight. It's . . . Italian night . . . or something."

"Well, gee . . . OK then."

Crissa went into her room and put some of the clothing she mentioned into a shopping bag. When she knew that her mother would be in the kitchen, packing something for her to take back to the dorm, she went to the hall closet. There she searched inside a large vase where keys were kept. Locating the one she wanted, labeled with a worn paper tag, Cabin, she put it into her pocket and prepared to leave.

"OK, Mom. I've got the taxi waiting outside. I'll see you both soon," she shouted toward the kitchen.

"Crissy, wait! I've packed some lasagna for you and for . . . Trisha!"

"God. OK Mom, great . . ."

Just then her mother came out with a large see-through plastic bag. Inside was a light green Tupper container obviously filled with one of Crissa's favorite home-cooked meals. This made her pause, put down the bag of clothing and shoes and walk up to her mother to hug her tightly.