Chapter Twenty Eight

"How can you be a dragon? It's not possible." I asked Julie with my eyes never leaving the glowing white dragon behind her.

"As I said before, I am not quite sure." Julie replied honestly as she stepped closer to me. "When your dragon was transferred, along with me, to Rosalie, something happened. It was as if the light magic that I trained in somehow caused a shift in all of our magic. As it drained Rosalie, it fueled the merge between your dragon power and mine.

"When this merging occurred, it formed a dragon with my element. A dragon with the power of light. I thought this type of dragon was only a myth. A legend that the books of old spoke about.

"One dragon to heal and maintain order with a counterpart, a mate of sorts, to a dragon with the power to destroy and decimate." She said as she came to a stop beside me, looking up at my dragon who seemed to elude a presence of might and power. His pride showing in abundance. "My dragon with the power of light and yours with the power of hellfyre. I didn't believe it at first, but the only thing that makes sense is that the prophecy of old is true.

"That the supernatural world itself needed this to happen. Caused this to happen. It is the only thing that makes sense at this time." She ended as her left hand brushed my right.

"So we were written about? Destined?" I asked trying to understand everything she was telling me.

"It appears so." She replied with a smile. "However, none of this explains Michael."

"Your mother was scared when you were born." Michael said as she hovered closer. A distant look within his eyes. "She feared what your father would do to both herself and you. So she collaborated with Rafael who acquired the necessary allies that were needed to perform their task. And their task was one of utmost importance. To protect the future king of dragons. To protect the heir to the Hectrova family. To protect you they conspired against me. Many lost their lives trying to bind me but ultimately they won. I was bound to you to ensure your survival, because above all, I wish to survive.

"This isn't the usual Vessilum contacting. I can no longer return home, nor can ever fully control you with shiny over there." He added as he pointed to Julie by my side. A look of annoyance upon his face. "But little miss sunshine is correct. There is in fact a prophecy about you two. I didn't believe it, but it appears to be true."

"How can the almighty Michael be defeated?" I inquired as I narrowed my eyes towards him. Noticing the slight anger that rose within him.

"I am not almighty!" Michael shouted as lightning began to dance around his form. "I am merely a commander for the army. I am not all high. I am by no means anything close to absolute. Do not refer to me as such." He said with anger seeping into his voice, as if denying any response to his words. "And how could they beat me? Is that a joke?" He asked genuinely angry at the question that I asked.

"No its not a joke, but your the Michael. The strongest of all Angels. How can you be defeated?" I asked him wondering why he was agitated at this question.

"Have you any idea how many of my brothers and sisters I had to kill to keep them from locking me away. The blood that now stains my hands. The family that I lost due to my stupidity." Michael shouted out before he grew more and more silent. "By the time I realized how many had died, it was too late. So many are gone and sent to Purgatory. So many lost their lives for a simple ideal. For an ideal that I had rejected fully.

"And now you ask how could they beat me. The answer is, they didn't." Michael said as sadness laced his voice. "I couldn't take any more bloodshed when it came to my family. I couldn't kill another of my brothers and sisters. So I did the only thing that I could back then. I gave up. I let them lock me away. To save the lives that were lucky enough to survive."

Both Julie and myself were silent. There was nothing we could say to him that could help in any shape or form. There was nothing we could do to make this situation any less awkward.

"But I hated them for what they made me do. For taking my freedom from me. For over a decade I have done nothing but hate them. Plot my revenge. Wish the harshest curses upon them. I had nothing else." He added as he began to turn around, apparently finished with the conversation.

"Victor, we need to get back." Julie said from beside me. "We can't delay any longer. We have to finish this." She added as she squeezed my hand.

"I know." I replied as I turned to face her.

I held her hand tightly as I closed my eyes, feeling the familiar cold of the rain hitting my skin an instant later. Opening my eyes I found myself staring into Julie's eyes, the rain matting her hair against her face.

The sounds of explosions rang forth as shock waves were sent through the academy. The night sky, regardless of rain, was lit up from the fires of the war ground. The screams of joy and pain sounded out against the rest of the noise.

Our gaze lifted up at the same time a glowing white body fall towards us at terrifying speed.

Within a second the glowing white body crashed into the ground before us, only a few meters distance. The impact caused the ground to crater inwards. The dust and small pieces of rock shot forth blanketing the view from us.

Julie and I looked at each other wondering what had just happened. We took a step forward aiming to determine the identity of the person that was thrown before us. A loud roar erupted somewhere above us as the entire illuminated with a dull light. Displaying a large winged beast behind the clouds. The size of which was terrifying.

Julie and I glanced at each other after we looked up. Both of us having the same idea as to who that was. There was only one person who could become a beast that size. Only one person who could emit that roar. Quin.

We walked closer towards the crater hoping above all that we were wrong. That we assuming wrongly. However, as we came up to the crater and peered within, we confirmed our suspicions.

There lying in the crater with blood leaking from her lips as she coughed up more and more blood. Her left leg bent at an extreme angle. Her left arm completely blown off right at her shoulder joint. Her wings matted with blood broken and missing numerous feathers. Her left wing snapped in half.

Penelope was breathing heavily in between coughs. The light barely within her eyes. The dark blue tattoos under her eyes fading with every second. The pain she had to be going through must've been intense.

Julie rushed forward towards Penelope. Kneeling beside her almost yelling at her to stay awake. She began to glow a bright gold as she projected that gold towards Penelope. Slowly healing her. Or attempting to heal. Nothing was happening.

Second by second, time passed slowly, I could feel Penelope's pain. I could feel her anguish. Her anger. Her desire to stay alive. I could feel her fading. Something within me connected myself to her. Something showed me what she was feeling, what she was thinking.

I fell to my knees screaming in pain as it was transferred from Penelope to myself. As if she was projecting her pain to me. And if it wasn't her, then some other force was at work.

I could hear my heart beat. Growing faster and faster until it was the only thing I could hear. The screams, the shouts, the explosions. All of that failed to fall upon my ears.

It wasn't until my vision faded into nothingness did I realize the full extent of the trouble I was in. Falling to the ground, unable to brace myself, my head hit the concrete, causing me to black out.

However, that was not the end of my troubles. Waking up within an active volcano, the heat beating against my skin as if punishing me for errors somewhere within my past. Hundreds, if not thousands, of men and women from various era's of time, within a wide range of ages, stood around my form. Each of them with standing with emotionless expressions upon their faces.

"This is our heir?" Came a deep voice that sounded both annoyed as well as angered at what he was saying.