Chapter Thirty

How could I be standing in front of the founder of the Hectrova family as well as the first Vessilum? Something like this should not be possible. Further more, being in this place is not possible. How could I possibly be standing here seeing what I was seeing?

"This is not possible." I said softly. Unfortunately for me, they all heard.

"This is not a fact that the council of supernaturals want everyone to know." Alucaren said with a soft smile. As if even being here was worth a smile. "If everyone knew, how many deaths would occur? How many deaths would occur for the sole purpose of being the strongest? How many species would become endangered and furthermore extinct because of greed?"

"Every species has a dimension such as this. A place where all the deceased have come to spend eternity. Or rather until the end of their species." Isabella said as she tightened her grip on my right arm as if trying to reassure me of the situation.

"And here we are. Since you are the last surviving member of the Hectrova family, as well as the last Vessilum, you have been permitted access to this dimension. You have been chosen as the will of our line." Alucaren said as he walked closer, coming to a stop a few meters from Isabella and myself.

"But why?" I asked not understanding how a species could end like this. Or how something like this could even be possible.

"Even in all my years, I have never found an answer for it." Alucaren replied. "The supernatural world has another meaning to it.

"Although we use that term to describe the world where the supernatural survive, there is another point of view. Ancient magic, essence itself, or divine intervention, it is not truly known what drives this force. All I know is that the world of supernaturals is governed by an energy, a will, or force, if you will.

"This force is what drives all our species. Allows for incidents like this. Governs how and when a select few beings are born with power and when some are not. It allows for us to exist. That is how you are here now without being dead. Without being killed. This force has allowed for you to be the last. For you to continue our will." Alucaren finished as he clasped his hands behind him.

"What does this mean for me? How do I continue your will?" I asked as a confused look crossed my face as I tried to figure it out.

"You will be given our blessings. In other words, we will grant you our knowledge of our kind. All the secrets that we have uncovered about the Vessilum will be yours." Alucaren responded as he smiled a little.

"You are the hope of our kind, Victor." Isabella said as she squeezed my arm slightly. "You will become a Progenitor. There are only a few that will be like you in existence. Unfortunately Quin is one as well. Before you were born, he was the last dragon. He has power unlike any have imagined. It is why he could so easily defeat Penelope." She added as she took a step back and gestured towards the crowd.

My gaze followed Isabella's gesture and soon my eyes fell upon the woman she was gesturing to. There stood Penelope in the same white dress she was dressed in as she died. The look in her eyes showed various emotions. The adoration she had for Victor. The sadness she felt for her situation and a few more.

She slowly walked forward, coming towards me. My eyes never left hers. However, it was at this point that I realised that I could no longer feel her pain. That every single ounce of anguish that flooded through my system was now gone.

"Victor." Penelope said as she came to a stop in front of me. "I wish we could meet again in different circumstances, but this will have to do."

I suddenly lunged forward and captured her into a hug, resting my head into the crook of her neck. As I held her, the flood gates opened up. Tears flowed down my cheeks as everything came crashing down. After everything I had experienced, and now the last true family I had was dead. Julie is all that is left.

She kept reassuring me as she stroked my back. After a few minutes, we broke apart, but I let our hands met as we back away. Holding onto her hands tightly I tried to bring myself back to my normal composure. I tried to let the sadness wash away.

"I know this is hard to accept." Alucaren said as his smile had disappeared, a look of sadness in his eyes. "But it needs to be done."

"I know." I said coming to terms with what was happening. Finally accepting the fact that my species were going to be over. The only hope for its survival would be myself. They weight of a species on my shoulders.

"We need to begin. We can't keep you here any longer." Alucaren said as he stepped forward.

"What do I need to do?" I asked as I turned to look at him. My hands leaving Penelope's.

"Kneel down please." He said before I got down to my right knee.

He raised his right hand until hi palm was mere inches from my head. He closed his eyes as his hands began to glow a bright white. Energy shot forth as it enveloped me in a white energy half sphere. Pushing everything into my essence. Into my soul.

I could barely keep my eyes open, but the moments I could see clearly, I noticed that with every passing second, more and more of the thousand people standing around us began to disappeared into nothingness.

I could feel myself becoming whole. As if I was empty before, and only now finding the lost part of me. The sensation was beyond my understanding. All I could understand was that I know knew far more about the Vessilum than I have ever thought possible. I know the secrets to their power. How to contract a being. How to make use of its power. How to contain the being. And more importantly, I now knew how to forcibly contract a being into a vessel. Explaining what had happened to me.

However, the knowledge was too much too soon. My head started to ache as the power continued to pour into me. A small groan soon turned into a loud scream. It was soon becoming more than I could handle.

It was however, at that moment that the power died down. The white energy surrounding me vanished, yet Alucaren left his hand above my head.

"I will allow a few to have some final words with you before we continue. I think you have earned it." He said with a smile. My heavy breathing now releasing smoke with each breath. I turned to my left and found both Isabella and Penelope.

"I only just met you." Isabella said with a sad smile. "It is too soon, but I know that you will accomplish great things. Just know that I will always love you, my grandson." She said as a few tears ran down her cheeks.

"Please keep Julie safe, both of you deserve happiness." Penelope said with the same tone as her mother. "I know we haven't known each other long, but I am glad to have known you. The little piece of Abigail that she left behind. You would have made her proud. As you have made us." She ended as she grabbed her mothers left hand with her right.

"He has made me proud." Came a serene voice that sent warmth through me. Penelope and Isabella both turned towards the new voice with smiles upon their lips. The happiness shown in their eyes was the indication as to who she was.

I turned to my left, my gaze falling on a woman of extraordinary beauty. Her bright blonde hair that held an abundance of curls to it hung in a ponytail over her right shoulder. Her almost translucent eyes gave her an overbearing presence yet a calming one.

She was wearing a dark blue shirt with black jeans. A gold necklace with a golden cross hung from her neck.

"Victor." She said with a large smile. Her happiness and sadness seemingly pervade through her expression. Tears fell from her eyes. "You're all grown up. My little boy."

"Mom?" I asked as I suddenly went cold. How did I not expect this? How did I not guess that she would be here? It was so obvious.

"You need to stop him." She said as her form began to flicker.

"I can't hold on for any longer. The forces at work have little time to spare." Alucaren said with a seemingly strained voice.

"You need to stop Quin. He will destroy the balance. He needs to be stopped." She said with a smile. Just before she faded she let out one final sentence. "She is good for you, keep her safe."

With that everything went dark.