Chapter Nineteen

I watched as the sword grew closer and closer to me. My mind blanking at what I should do. My body tensed as the large man came within a meter of me. Planted his back right foot and stomping hard with his left which was in front of him. Using the momentum of his sprint, he put his weight on his forefoot, bringing the sword around his right. It was quick. Too quick.

I brought up the swords in my hands, just quick enough to block the attack to my left. Using both swords side by side, as if hoping it would block this monsters strike. It would seem my instinct was only half right. The power in the attack breaking through the first sword with ease, as the second one held. The power then force me to my right, jettisoning me into the ground, rolling a few dozen meters. Dust clouds sprouting forth behind me. The wind knocked from me.

How could a man be that strong? Was he not a fighter that had his powers removed? Why couldn't he be a simple human? The pain in my side was overwhelming. The pain taking over my senses.

I managed to get into a kneeling position, discarding the broken sword in my left hand. Blood spat from my mouth as I took in a deep breath, try to regain my composure. I looked up, funnelling the noise around me from my hearing. Focusing on the fight. I needed to win. I can't die like this.

The large man with the broadsword slowly made his way over to me. Dragging his sword behind him. A smile upon his face. I think he thought this would be an easy fight. Maybe he was right, maybe he wasn't.

I tried to stand, but found my body rooted to the spot I was kneeling upon. Using all my strength I tried to break free. Unable to. Grunting in pain a pushed my body to its limits, trying to force my way through. Thick large black chains slowly faded into existence, covering my legs, arms, torso, neck, and abdomen. These chains restricting all movement.

I felt a small spark within me as a familiar warmth erupted throughout my body. The chain surrounding my legs began to crack as I shouted harder. Why do these chains look so damn familiar? I thought to myself.

As the chains cracked, I failed to notice the silence the crowd had now possessed. They watched the show with a mixture of confusion and awe. Yet the large man with the broad sword continued his way towards me. It would seem that nothing would stand in his way in killing me. Not even the unusual sight of the black chains surrounding me could deter him from his purpose.

The chain was almost broken, but it took too long. The large man was right in front of me with his broad sword held high, about to strike down. And he did so. The sword began to quickly swing down, aiming to split me in half. About halfway to my death, the sword began to slow as the chain snapped fully. The crack echoing throughout the arena. Almost deafening to those with sensitive ears. Many of the people in attendance flinched at the loud noise.

The sword began to slow down yet its trajectory remained. I found my body able to move once more. Using my regained movement, I rolled to my right, successfully dodging the sword as it embedded itself into the sand, sending up waves of dust showing us all the power that was used in the swing.

I got to a standing position quickly as I saw the large man twist to his right, bringing his right leg around and aimed a kick at my chest. Yet it was slow. Why was everything slower? What is happening to me?

I twist to my right and leaned back slightly, avoiding the kick. Bringing my right hand up with the last remaining sword I had, I quickly cut along his thigh. Causing his blood to splatter to my left. A grunt of pain was all I heard from him.

The slowness that I was experiencing began to fail me. As time quicken and then slowed over and over again. The strain of the switch causing my mind to tense. A big headache made itself evident.

Watching the large man grab his sword as he tested his right leg in both fast pace and slow pace was working its way through my mind. I stumbled backwards slightly grabbing the right side of my head. Dammit it hurt.

The large man seemed to notice my discomfort as he suddenly lunged forward kicking up sand as he did so. Some of the sand aimed at my face. Unfortunately I was unable to defend against it, as the sand blinded me slightly. As I closed my eyes a massive force hit my chest. Sending me rolling backwards, dropping my sword in the process.

I managed to bear with the pain as my eyesight regained it previous purpose. Although I still had to slightly squint. And yet, the change in pace that my eyes saw things did not cease, adding to the pain I had to endure.

The large man was now sprinting towards me once more as he held the sword at his side, aiming for a horizontal slash. Right before the swing could hit, I jumped backwards, arching my back. Somersaulting away from the deadly blow.

Coming up in a kneeling position I looked around me, trying to locate my sword. Finding it two meters behind the large man. I stood up quickly and rushed the large man taking him by surprise. Rolling to my front, just to the left of the large man, I managed to avoid a thrust that most probably would have maimed me, instead of killing me. I quickly rushed over to my sword, hoping that I would make it in time.

Luckily, for once, I did. Grabbing the handle I turned around to see my enemy. He was getting enraged at the fight he had to deal with. I am assuming he thought it would be over in a few swings, yet I was still standing making him look incompetent.

I stood tall as I waited for him to come at me. He rushed forward with immense speed as he tensed all his muscles. His speed with the sword suddenly increase as he swung it around like a normal short sword.

I danced around avoiding most of the blows, using both my newfound speed and the slight angles of my blade to avoid any real damage. Unfortunately I was not a hundred percent injury free. A few scrapes and cuts appeared across my biceps and thighs. Injuries that I could not avoid in such close range. For a man his size wielding a weapon that large, it was truly a magnificent sight.

The exchange of blows lasted for a few minutes with both of us tiring, him far more than myself. The change in my eyesight continued, forcing me to endure far more than the injuries I had received.

The opening that I wanted so much finally revealed itself as the man faltered in his swings, leaving his right side open for attack. Taking the initiative, I allowed him to cut at my right leg, using his slight distraction to my advantage. Taking my sword in my left hand, I swung upwards severing his right arm just below his elbow.

He screamed in pain as he quickly backtracked, dropping his sword in the process. His left hand clutching tightly to injured arm. He looked up hoping me to still be standing where I was previously, yet surprise overtook him when he realised that I did not wait. I did not let this moment go.

This was a fight to the death and I would not let my emotions and morals get the better of me. Julie would hate me if I do. After all she gave up for me. I should not allow myself to die this soon.

I appeared right in front of him as I thrust my sword forward. The sword now in my right hand. The sword avoided his left arm as it embedded itself into his chest, above his left peck. Blood poured from his mouth as I pushed the sword further.

My deep breathing making the scene far more frightening that I would normally be. I pulled the sword out of his chest as I leaned back and kicked his chest, causing him to fall backwards. His left hand released his injured arm as he fell lifeless.

I flicked my sword to my right, getting most of the blood off of it as it splattered against the sand.

I looked up at the announcers box that I failed to notice before. It was opposite the entrance and raised a dozen meters into the air. My eyes landed on a familiar blonde with am angry expression. Was she angry that I survived? Did she hope that I would die?

As she was seething in rage, a bright yellow glow quickly flashed across her eyes. Her anger fading instantly. A look of adoration and sadness filled her face. As a lone tear fell from her left eye. A bright smile found its way onto her lips. A look of love quickly replacing the adoration in her eyes.

A look that was all to familiar to me. It was a look that I remembered every time I closed my eyes. The look that the one I loved gave me when she gave her life to save mine.

"Julie?" I asked softly as I dropped my sword.