Chapter Five

"Ladies and Gentlemen." The announcer's voice boomed over the crowd once more, but this time his voice contained even more enthusiasm than before. "We have finally come to the finals of our annual Tournament of the Magical Arts. And to everyone's surprise, the two finalists are both first years.

"It is time to watch them fight for the ultimate prize. The wish that could grant many their dire wants. It can grant wisdom, riches, worldly needs. And many, many more. Now without further ado, let me welcome our final two contestants. Mr Bo Scaro!" 

The crowd erupted in cheers as Bo walked out to the center of the arena and thrust his upward giving the audience a show. He truly knows how to capture the attention of the crowd.

"And his opponent, Mr Victor Mc'Arthur! The underdog of note." He shouted as the crowd cheers even louder for my entrance. I could see the anger in Bo's eyes. It would seem that he does not want to be outdone by someone like me. By someone he deemed not worthy of his presence. By someone who he hates enough to torment everyday.

He watched me with the hatred clearly evident within his eyes as I tensed my muscles. This was the time to show everyone who I truly was and what I truly am. This was the time where I would gain my wish and then everything would finally be over.

I tilted my head upwards looking up at the sky wandering what I would feel like to roam free in the skies. Even with being a dragon, I was always too scared to even try. I closed my eyes and let a calm sensation wash over me.

I could feel the soft sway of a breeze as it hit my face. Before it was overridden but the intense heat of flames. It seems the match has started and Bo already covered me in flames.

I felt the clothes I was wearing burst into flames as they burnt off my body. My temperature raising with my dragon getting close to the surface. The fire meant nothing to me at this point.

I was about to give in to my dragon when I heard the evil chuckle coming from Bo. I cast my gaze downwards to look at him, noticing that the flames blotted him out.

"And you thought you could have her?" I heard him say with a low voice, he didn't want her to overhear. "Do you think you can handle my seconds?" He chuckled once more.

My face fell as all emotion dropped from my face. Did he really just say what he did? Did he not have feelings for her at all? Is she just another girl to him? My anger began to erupt within me as my eyes began to change, but it was happening too slowly. My anger was not enough.

"Too bad you won't hear it." He continued his voice getting louder and at this point I knew he forgot he was suppose to be quiet with what he was saying. "You won't hear her moans. Her plea's to go faster. You won't see the look of ecstasy on her face when she finishes."

At this point my anger erupted like a long since dormant volcano. My body began to convulse as my hands began to form into claws. Smoke leaked form lips as the fire crown adorned my head. The crown sucking in the fire around me.

As the arena came into view I could see the shocked look on Bo's face as he watched his fire drain away. He tried to cast more but they inevitably were sucked up by the crown. I let the dragon loose as I felt my body lift into the air.

The sky grew darker and turned a shade of burnt orange. My hair catching alight as the sounds of gasps erupted from the audience.

My gaze was locked on the fear filled eyes of Bo underneath me. The dragon now had complete control of me.

"Impossible." I heard Bo say faintly as he tried to slowly back away. "He can't be." He added.

My body burst with power as my dark red wings erupted from my back at the same time my tail appeared at the base of my back. Scales began to show themselves on my skin as I slowly began to take the form of a true dragon.

My real form filled three quarters of the arena as my astute eyes watched Bo carefully. My scales a deep red but giving off a soft orange glow. I wasn't focused on anything other than him. I watched as a wet patched appeared between his legs, then to him falling backwards pleading for his life. Smoke poured out the sides of my large jaws.

I reared my head back along with my elongated neck, watching my prey intently. I took a deep breathe in thrust my head forward letting out a deafening roar that shook the arena. Everyone in attendance tried to block their ears as the roar reached them. Some fainted from the shock while others screamed in pain.

Bo, however, was still wide awake with fear plastered across his face. I gained control of my dragon as I let the form recede into my half dragon and half human form. My tail swished behind me slowly as I lowered my hover to the ground. I landed without so much as a single sound as my wings stretched outwards.

I walked towards Bo with a dark expression on my face. I came to a stop above his cowering form knowing that it was over. That I was finally finished.

"You should learn to know who to respect." I told him letting out a loud growl. He quickly jumped to his feet as he ran for the arena entrance trying to get out.

The stadium was quiet for what seemed like ages before the announcers voice broke the silence.

"Ladies and gentlemen." He began in a broken voice like he was trying to remember what to say. "We have our winner. Victor Mc'Arthur. The last dragon." He shouted as the audience erupted in loud cheers. I let my form recede to my toned human body as I covered my form in a robe of flames.

I found I could alter the properties of the fire, so I tried it out with the robe. It was cold to the touch and took on a dark blue shade. As much as I tried to, I could not change my eyes back. They remained slitted with the glowing red surrounding it.

I rallied in the fact that I won, even if I knew it from the beginning. But yet, it still didn't do a thing for me. I still felt broken and torn. I still felt as if I meant nothing. I made my way to the judges box by using my wings to fly me up their. The looks on everyone's faces was amusing.

I wonder what is going through their minds at this moment. I wonder what they had begun to plan in the future. I knew some would try to be my friends. I know some girls would throw themselves at me. I wondered what my reputation would become after this.

I landed near the middle of the stage where the Headmaster of the academy stood tall watching my every move. It was the same woman from the opening ceremony a few weeks ago.

The Headmaster took a few steps forward indicating for me to join her on her left.

"Ladies and gentlemen." She began with her face void of any emotion. "We have finally concluded our annual tournament and we have our winner. A winner who apparently held a secret from everyone. The last dragon." She turned to me and I could have sworn I could see a twinkle in her eyes.

"Keeping to the tradition, I am to award this little dragon a wish. A wish that could change his life for the better or for the worse." She continued as I let my eyes scan the crowd. It didn't take long for me to spot Julie. Using my dragon eyes I could enhance my vision. I could see a large smile adorned her face with tears rolling down her cheeks. She looked as if she was proud to know me. As if anything between us meant anything anymore.

I shifted my gaze from hers as I took a deep breath. I lost what the Headmaster was trying to say as I turned my attention back to her. She was staring at me with an expecting expression.

"Sorry, what?" I asked as I tilted my head to the side, wondering what she asked me.

"I asked if you had given any thought as to what you would like your wish to be." She elaborated further as she turned to face me.

"I have." I replied knowing that everything was finally coming to an end. After this, I don't have to worry about anything anymore. I didn't have to be the coward that I was. That I could have this when my own cowardice stopped me from doing so.

"And this wish will be?" She asked as excitement filled her expression. I don't think she realized just how misplaced her excitement was. Or how this day would turn out.

I turned to her and with a pained expression I spoke my wish.

"Kill me."