Chapter 17

Unedited

It was now April time, Dan and I were getting on better then ever and I finally started to feel myself fall out of the trance I had got myself in throughout December and January.

With the help of Dan, I went to my therapy sessions, which I still attend and I had started to feel a lot more confident in myself, my grades went up and my performance at work was excelling.

I'd come to have grown a friendship with Hannah, we both supported each other and I found myself opening up to her about things I didn't even realise bothered me.

For the first time in a long time I felt good about myself.

I was at work getting ready to leave, Mr Styles was abroad this week for business meetings which luckily for me meant I got to go straight home.

Tasha knocked on the door as I was putting my coat on, she had a tired look on her face and slumped into the seat.

"Long day" I raise my brows and she huffs.

"Something like that"

"You should go home"

"I can't, I have so much work to be doing" she sighs.

"Boyfriend problems" I chuckle and she rolls her eyes. Tasha and I had seemed to grow a bond, I told her about my past without mentioning Harry was Mr Styles' son and I let her know about my relationship with Dan which she was over the moon about.

"He isn't talking to me because he thinks my ass is so far up work, it's not my fault I can't give all my attention to him you know"

"Explain it to him and maybe take a day off and spend it with him just to reassure him"

"I am a busy woman" she sighs placing her hand on her forehead dramatically.

"Drama queen" I roll my eyes and we both let out a laugh.

She gets up and stands to the door as I grab my keys from the office table.

"Oh, by the way Mr Styles left a package for you at his desk" she smiles cheekily.

"I have a boyfriend and he's married, don't even think about it" I laugh and she licks her rogue lips.

"I always thought he was attractive, perfect daddy material hmm" she smirks and I blush madly.

God this was awkward.

"Go home Tasha" I laugh and she giggles as she struts away in her heels.

After grabbing my stuff and locking my office I make my way to Mr Styles' office.

It was unlocked which I'm guessing is because he knew no one would dare come in without an valid excuse.

I open the door carefully, scared that he might see even though he was across the country.

On top of his desk was a neatly laid brown package, on the label was written my name in cursive and I raised my eyes impressed by his handwriting skills.

I slowly pull off the wrapping and inside is a sleek black box. It was rectangular shaped and had gold lining around it. I opened the box and gasped.

It was a slender rose, still fresh from the wetness and beauty of it. Underneath the rose was simply a note that said "one".

I looked at it confusedly, what could he mean.

~

When I got home I made sure to hide the box away into my draw, I took the rose out to place it in a vase and then hid it behind , my curtains.

Dan was out getting some food, I took this chance to clear up his side of the room since he'd always procrastinate, I knew he'd never do it.

I tidy up his clothes and fix his papers, the best sheet was a mess so I tucked in the sides again and laid his blanket out.

As I was plumping his pillow I noticed a letter underneath, just as I was going to grab the letter I heard the door knob rattle, I quickly put his pillow back in it's place and scurried over to my bed.

"Hey" he smiles, he has a bag of Chinese food and I chuckle.

"We're so unhealthy" I laugh and he shrugs his shoulder.

"Close your eyes for me for a second" he says, and I look at him suspiciously but do so.

When I hear him leave the room I get nervous but the door quickly opens and closes again.

"Open your eyes"

I open them and find the painting he did of me a couple of months ago.

"Oh Dan" I gush.

"I was thinking after we eat we could hang this on the wall"

"That sounds lovely" I stand over to him and place a kiss on his lips.

After we've eaten Dan forces me up, we decide to hang the canvas on his side of the room.

I hold the toolbox as Dan marks the corners for the nails.

"You know, I was scared you wouldn't like it" he chuckles nervously as he takes a hammer.

"Why would you think that?"

"I don't know, I thought you might find it creepy or something"

"Well.." I say and he laughs.

"I was going to keep this a secret but I guess I should just say it"

"Say what" I reply too quickly, hoping it would be about the letter.

"My exhibition as you know is next week, and seeing you missed the last one-"

"I'm deffo coming" I smile at him.

"It's just- I hope you don't mind but--" he paused

"But what?"

"I've got a whole section of you. Purely you" he says and my heart rate increases, my stomach was doing a thousand flips.

"Dan" I gasp, my eyes becoming watery.

"You're not annoyed are you?"

"Not at all!" I wanted to pull him in a big hug but he was concentrating on framing the canvas perfectly.

There's a comfortable silence between us, I giggle as I watch his tongue poke out and his eyebrows furrow as he concentrates hard.

"Dan" my mind wonders off and I remember about the letter, was it worth mentioning it?

"There!" He says and we both stand back, the picture looked perfect.

He was perfect.

"I'll just get fairy lights and it'll be a master piece" he kisses my lips gently and I hold on to his fingertips.

"I don't know what to say" I stare at him dreamily.

"Nothing, don't say anything, you deserve so much happiness babe" he kisses my forehead and I smile uncontrollably.

I fling into his chest and he drapes an arm around me and draws shapes over my back.

"Oh El" he calls me.

"Yh" I look up through my lashes.

"You we're going to say something before but I interrupted you"

"Oh" I pause, did I really want to ruin this moment. Everything was going so perfect for us and I didn't want to risk it with something that could be nothing. He squeezes me and I quickly answer. "It was nothing, just that you mean a lot to me"

"You too" he chuckles.